Fix Up or Buy New

@‌hybpapa

If they calipers “work” correctly and aren’t leaking, forget about the surface rust

Rotors, drums, calipers all eventually get surface rust. It doesn’t mean the components aren’t doing their job properly

Most of this stuff is normal wear and tear, and things you’d expect on a car now 15 years old. If it is a good car, and you like it - fix it and keep it.

Here’s how I’d look at it. Providing what’s broken is just normal stuff and no significant rust issues – and I’d pay particular att’n to whether the “transmission module” problem belongs to that category – if so, then I’d decide by defining how I want to use the car. If it is for tooling about town to run errands, take the kids to soccer practice, drive to and from work, then I’d fix it up and keep it. If I wanted to use it to take trips far from home, I’d sell it. The reason is just that no matter how well you maintain it, at 17 years old it just isn’t going to be as reliable as a 5 year old or newer car. If something starts to go wrong around town, you can just drive it to your regular mechanic for a look-see. Worse case you’ll have to leave it at the shop, and you can call around, find a ride from a co-worker to get to work the next day. Tell the kids to walk to soccer practice Take the bus for a day or two. Etc. All these work-a-rounds are not so simple if you notice something going wrong far from home.

If you like the car that much, I would keep it. However, just remember to budget for other repairs this car will need as time goes bye.

I agree with all the above. Except for the valve cover gasket, which is common on any car over 10 years old, let alone 17, all the ‘repairs’ are maintenance items. I’d do them and keep driving. But, don’t replace the calipers for surface rust. This is normal.