Fix A flat on AWD?

Yep this is how stuff gets mangled as the translations proceed.

Never mentioned using the fix a flat product, or repairing a run flat tire. Just wanted to know if fixing a leaky tire was ok or if four new ones were needed.

And as usual the advice is to take it to a tire shop for advice and a boot.

2 Likes

So you have never had a return customer there for service to have there tires rotated and balanced and Not tell you they had put fix-a-flat in it??? You or the tech will not be able to balance that tireā€¦ IN THE VIDEO he clearly said Fix-a-flat will not effect balance and I call BS (I never said it would harden), yes it can affect the balance of the tire, but after you have wasted valuable time (less experienced techs more than experienced techs) will try over and over again sometimes trying to balance the tire before realizing something is wrongā€¦ So unless you dismount every single tire that you go to balance for maintenance to look for fix-a-flat in it then you either have never balanced a tire or you have tried to balance a tire with fix-a-flat in itā€¦ Or you smell it when adjusting air pressureā€¦ lol

I donā€™t balance tires during a rotation unless itā€™s requested.

Which is very rare.

Tester

We offered free rotate and lifetime balance (for a small fee on purchase of new tires, or you could purchase it on tires bought elsewhere) and a lot of customers took the LB, so they asked for it every time they had the tires rotatedā€¦ And it was multiple times a day, so we ran into it a lotā€¦

Customer states: ā€œVibration at highway speedsā€ (extended warranty).

Tester

Tester

I 100% agree with you on thatā€¦

Now to be fair, a lot of those vehicles on that list had RFTā€™s and spares are not requiredā€¦
I also saw one of the very 1st Mini Coopers that came to Nashville (when the Mini dealer had 3 on display and you had to order them to be made) the owner said he could not even order a Mini Cooper (or the one model he wanted) with non RFTā€™s cause there was no place to put the spareā€¦ So as it was racked installing new RFTā€™s on it I looked under it and saw a spare under it, I looked (not very hard) in the trunk area and did not see anyway to lower the spareā€¦ Looked like it was put there by mistake and then covered up so not to ever be loweredā€¦ The Dealer said NO it could not have a spare so I showed it to him and he took it to the dealer and they didnā€™t have a clue after seeing itā€¦ lol

I have also seen some Volvos and Land Rovers with non RFT, ROF, EMT,SSR or ZP(S) and a few others (thatā€™s run flat tires for those who may not know) with no spares and jacks etc but had Fix-A-Flat in itā€™s placeā€¦ I think it was Kia that the ā€œspare tire kitā€ was a $600.00 extra charge from the dealerā€¦ And yes, the customers were all pretty upset when they had a flat and no spareā€¦
Side note, the Nashville Mazda now closed, thought it would be cute to keep the wheel lock key to many of there new vehicles so you had to take it back to them, lucky for the shop I was at at the time was across the street and there service dept would bring a wheel lock kit over for us to use until we were done with itā€¦ Yeah, put wheel locks on a vehicle and keep the key, that didnā€™t go over wellā€¦ lol

1 Like