Fix-a-Flat for sidewall leak?

I might have a leak in my tire’s sidewall. My repair shop said they can’t fix it; I’d have to buy a new tire. Will Fix-a-Flat work? Thanks!

No… it will not work, sorry.

1 Like

No, just no.
The sidewall is the most highly stressed part of the tire.

1 Like

Are these the new tires you were looking for in one of your other threads ? If so and you bought the road hazard coverage you can ask if that will help replace this one .
You might be able to find a used one of the same size to get you by for now.

Even if your leak were in the tread, Fix-a-Flat is used only to get you to the nearest tire shop, not as a permanent repair. It also makes quite a mess inside the tire that’s a pain for the tire shop to clean up.

1 Like

@lion9car makes a great point… A lot of people don’t realize this about Fix a Flat. It can get you out of a jam for sure…but Boy Howdy what you find inside the wheel and tire when you finally take the tire off the rim… It’s ugly… and when people actually put the entire can in the tire? Its even worse…it can also mess with the ability to balance the wheel correctly or at all after use, due to so much liquid sloshing around inside the tire where before there was no such liquid in there.

1 Like

Tester

No, and if you have FWD, you’ll need two tires and if AWD, four new tires.

As has been mentioned previously in other threads, a tire can be shaved, or a used tire of the same tread depth could work, agree you need to replace the tire.

OK, just glad you didn’t suggest filling it with foam-hows that working? :grin:

Never fix sidewall damage, take the tire out of service and get a replacement. The sudden failure due to a weakened side wall is a very ugly and possibly painful occurrence.

Fix a flat will gum up the pressure sensor. OK to use in an emergency but understand the mess it makes inside the tire.

The slime (Brand Name) is still working on the snowblower tire, No air needed. Got it ready for winter late November. Have not needed the snowblower yet, maybe this weekend. Your mind is still sharp, Golf in June? Not recommended for a sidewall puncture in a car tire. Have been using regular gas, thinking of making the 60 mile round trip for some non oxygenated premium, lucky you have it everywhere! Need some premium raspberry and cherry balsamic vinegar from that fancy shop in Lake Geneva anyway, Kenosha is under whatever restrictions. Wife did not want a couple of gallons of gas in the car returning from Pequot Lakes.

I was wondering about your snowblower. I think I had about a quart of slime in each of my lawn mower tires until I finally bit the bullet and replaced them.

I actually had a thorn puncture my mower tire. When I took it down to the tire shop, they just talked me into putting a tube in for $10.

My lawn mower was a magnet for roofing nails, but eventually dry rot got the sidewalls. So I was using a combination of tire plugs and slime.

The tire kept going flat. I wanted a new one but I cannot get the bolt that holds the tire to the axle off. The nut that holds the bolt I got off but no amount of pb blaster heat, pounding would get it off. I mushroomed the bolt trying to pound it out. I figured It would probably fall out the first time I used the snowblower, it did not. That was 2 years ago I think.
RE roofing nails, the people that did the house next door were terrible at cleaning up nails Their truck and trailer had multiple uses of an air compressor to fill the tires. The house next door coincidentally was getting resided. I bought one of those magnetic sweepers, less than $20, and found I guess at least 50 nails. Loaned it to the neighbors after they had to take their dog to the vet for a cut on it’s foot. The neighbor did all around his house and found quite a few. Luckily it was cool enough the 2 kids had not been out. I got 15 to 20 out on the street after they moved the last load out on their trailer. People who don’t care I guess.

My roofers where pretty careful and used the magnet. I even used their magnet. Two years later though I still found a nail or two. When we did the cabin shed, we put tarps down and I bought the HF magnet for $10. Still, every time we’d run the magnet again or go look (as in like the Army), we’d find more nails. Those things are terrible.

2 Likes

I’ve even got them in my tennis shoes.

I tried to fix a basketball that kept losing air with Fix-a-Flat. It turned the basketball into a bowling ball.

2 Likes

@Tester, what that guy in the video cleverly avoided is the fact that it is water soluble because it is mostly water, and if left inside the tire/rim, it will cause massive corrosion of the rim. Seen it too many times.