Filling up gas tank in rain

What if my gas tank is almost empty and I have to drive 100 more miles and it is raining hard. What is the worst case scenario if I fill up my gas tank in a hard driving rain and the rain is getting into the tank? Thank you very much. abx

When your gas level drops, fill up the tank, regardless of weather. All self service outlet have roofs over the pumps. Even if the did not, only a few drops would get into the tank, and they would be absorbed by the small amounts of gasline alcohol the refiners put in the gas.

So, stop worrying; your biggest worry should be running out of gas, and damaging the fuel pump.

If you are that worried about it, maybe you should carry an umbrella in the car. That should shelter both you and the nozzle.

Find a gas station with covered pumps.

The few drops of rain that may make in the filler will have no effect on your car – it’s not like you are pouring a quart of water in the tank. Most car gas tanks have a bottom trap to capture whatever small amounts of water that may enter the tank. Fuel lines are a bit above the water trap.

Twotone

Today, all gas stations have covered pumps…This isn’t a real question…

You’re assuming that the poster is in the USA.

The things people have to post and ask instructions about never cease to amaze me, a post asking how to fill gas tank in the rain?

Really? You’ve checked them all? That must have been quite a road trip. You do know you are completely wrong, don’t you?

(Edited to clarify that this was to Caddyman, not tardis immediately above)

“Today, all gas stations have covered pumps…This isn’t a real question…”

Perhaps all gas stations near your homeowners’ association…

It doesn’t matter whether the pumps are under roof or not. You won’t get enough water in the gas tank to hurt anything, no matter how hard it’s raining.

This is a non-issue, regardless of where you fill up.

He simply thinks the rain is getting in the gas,it has been explained by twotone about how minimal the amount of rain actually entering the tank is

Additionaly mcparidise also explained about the minimal amount of water to enter the tank.

Not easily amazed but quite frequently from some CarTalk posters,how do they find the way to work? These are the people that are easy pickens for a dishonest mechanic, you have to use some of the sense your maker gave you or someone will take advantage of you.

May I suggest if there is not overhead cover that someone else hold the umbrella,wow! that took some thinking.

Taking every question at face value til shown otherwise is safest. Some may think it’s naive to ask the question, but many people do have a full and happy life that does not involve car mechanics; like maybe the surgeons we trust our lives to, etc.

EVERYBODY SETTLE DOWN!..Man, stop frothing at the mouth. I agree this is a question about a non issue but none of us here know the OP. The OP could be a young person that is learning about vehicles and has tons of questions. The OP may not have a male figure in their life that knows anything about vehicles.

Also, what is obvious to a seasoned veteran is not always so obvious to a novice. If the tables were turned I am sure we would ask questions that the OP would think we lame.

It’s ok to fill the tank in a hard rain.

“May I suggest if there is not overhead cover that someone else hold the umbrella,wow! that took some thinking.”

Yes, that would have taken some thinking. Why not take a run at it? The OP didn’t mention that he had another person available.

He also didn’t say “It’s not a motorcyle, the fill-hole of which is open to the sky.”

Ahh, thinking.

You…pomposity.

“The OP may not have a male figure in their life that knows anything about vehicles.”

I have two moms, you got a problem with that?

“Also, what is obvious to a seasoned veteran is not always so obvious to a novice.” A seasoned veteran at pumping gas? That’s something to aspire to.

Today, if you don’t have covered pumps, you don’t sell very much gas… in places with uncovered pumps, it never rains…If you start a thread on this subject, you should not even attempt to pump your own gas…I mean, if you are dumb enough to stand there in the rain holding a pump nozzle, a little rain going in the tank shouldn’t concern you at all…

Wait a minute, didn’t you say that there are no uncovered pumps? Now you’re saying there are? AND YOU’RE CALLING THE ORIGINAL POSTER DUMB?

I call pomposity on you.

Guess what, if you’re riding motor and you have 100 miles to cover, you take your fuel where you find it. What was the name of your HOA again?

What place on earth is it that you have identified where it never rains?

I say again, pomposity.

I have two moms, you got a problem with that? …No, I really don’t but I refuse to preface everything I say to be “PC”. Why are you so defensive? Nothing I said was offensive.

“Also, what is obvious to a seasoned veteran is not always so obvious to a novice.” A seasoned veteran at pumping gas? That’s something to aspire to…Are you so thick that you cannot see that this includes different aspects of life? If you want to pick a fight go ahead. You will compromise your integrity, show how shallow you might be and also lose.

The secret is that there usually isn’t a worst case scenario that could happen. Filling up in the rain? People do it and they drive off without a problem. Water in their tank that gets pumped into your tank usually doesn’t kill a car either. You get a lot more water that way, but it has nothing to do with rain.

Are you suggesting that women are incapable of operating a gas pump?

“The OP may not have a male figure in their life that knows anything about vehicles. <
”<— that’s the part that was offensive.

We have not begun to plumb the depths of my shallowness.

I have no integrity.

There is nothing to win or lose here.

Pomposity.