Fiat 500 or Scion TC

True, but there’s a difference between the owner thinking the car looks good, and the owner thinking the car will impress others.

When I was at a Honda dealership checking out the Fit with my parents, I heard people saying that it’s a nice car, but they are afraid of being judge for buying such a small, gutless econobox.

When I was at a Honda dealership checking out the Fit with my parents, I heard people saying that it’s a nice car, but they are afraid of being judge for buying such a small, gutless econobox.

WOW…How shallow can you get!!! I haven’t cared about what other people thought I bought or didn’t buy since I was maybe 15…And these are grown adults who will make a buying decision on what other people think???

And?
There are lots of people who have made lots of money in extremely questionable ways, that invest in everything. Are you not going to buy Milk anymore when you find out they own shares of your local grocery store too?

Now if Fiat’s commercials showed Gaddafi sitting in the passenger seat, firing an AK-47 out the window killing people on the street, and their tag line was “Fiat 500. Preferred drive by vehicle of Dictators everywhere,” then I think your statement would hold water.

BC.

No…just pointing it out in case people were interested. You’re jumping to conclusions…AGAIN.

I’m struggling why some of think that “buying a car based upon the opinion of others” is a bad thing. People hold certain employment positions and feel it’s necessary. Real estate brokers I know are not going to pick up clients in cars that do not project the image they want. Same with CEOs, etc. One friend is so intent on not projecting an image of affluence, he refuses to be seem in a car that isn’t rusted. He’s proud that his car is uninspectable but gets to drive it on “farmer’s plates”, what ever that is. That’s the reverse of what some of you say and you’ll buy cars to show the same thing…why ? Because you care what others think when you drive your car as many normal people do.

If a rusty old car is what he wants, that’s fine. But if he is driving it just to project the image of poverty, then he is paying it with the price of safety. And the rust isn’t helping the original structural design in event of an accident. If he is driving it because that’s all he can afford, that’s unfortunate.

The point is that projecting an image isn’t liberating. It is what people traditionally do, but it is a nuisance. Do you see Steve Jobs or Bill Gates bound themselves in a suit and tie when promoting their new products? Their products, be it good or bad, speak for themselves.

NOT ! Steve Jobs and Bill Gates are very image concious. It just isn’t he image you recognize. Look at their products with style as much a part of function, look at their dress, the geek look does not include a suit and tie. It’s the lean and functional look they wish to project. You make my point ! Mac ad guy is always tieless, comp. Is not.

You get up in the morning, you put the appropriate attire on even if blue jeans would fill your need. If you were wealthy enough, you’d be dressing yourself in the appropriate car as well. Let’s wash and wax the old buggy before we go to Sunday/Sat place or worship is as close as most of us get. Never be convinced we don’t wear our cars ! You guys are kidding yourselves. I doubt any of you thought about your final automobile image statement, yet you will go right along with it…your black funeral hearse.

People are self conscious…And they do want to impress or project a certain image. And for many people a car is one way to project that image…But for many of us…a vehicle is the LEAST way to impress.

Example: I work as a Software Engineer manager…One person who works with me drives a corvette. He’s obviously trying to “Impress” someone. He’s single (never married)…50…5’10…and a little over 300lbs. He’s even told me he bought the car to pick up women…Now…if he lost about 130lbs and drove a Accord…what do you think his chances of getting a woman would be???

I agree with you about Bill Gates and Steven Jobs…But a car is about ones Personal Image…not their companies image. I could care less what car Bill Gates or Steve Jobs drive or own. Take a look at Warren Buffett (The second richest man in the world). Still lives in a modest 4 bedroom house valued at about $700k…last I knew drives a 4yo Minivan. His company (BERKSHIRE HATHAWAY INC.) projects a complete different image then Buffett does.

They really are two very different cars. I was impressed on the good use of the (limited) space in the 500, was very comfotable in it, in some ways more comfortable than I was in a mini-cooper. Have driven a few of the Scion “cube” cars (not a tc though), couldn’t wait to get out of them, awful.

a fairer comparison to a toyota would be to the Yaris which is still a class bigger.

If we were indeed not image conscious, we would list cars that fit our needs, regardless of color or style and let someone else (our kids) pick it out for us and just deliver it to us. For most of us, choosing a car is a personal decision, fraught with image conciouse choices. We do this when we paint our houses and hang shudders that serve no function, or choose tectured aluminum roofing for twice the cost of basic which serves the same purpose. We all know that people are not impressed by our car choice but we still use vanity in our choises regardless.

When I bought my first new truck, I was as guilty as anyone. All my wife had to say was “you’ll take good care of that truck till you get your first dent”. I immediately turned around and kicked the rear quarter and " produced" my first dent to project the image that I didn’t care now.