Favorite road trip destinations

I found it quite interesting. I’ve been there twice in the last couple of years. But it is no match for the Biltmore in Asheville, NC.

I got to do the “Behind the Scenes” tour at the Biltmore before they discontinued it. To me, that was the best tour they had. I enjoyed looking at the technology available at the time, including their solution to the “Current Wars” (AC vs DC).

Yes, there are some similarities between High German and Pennsylvania Dutch, but Pennsylvania Dutch has been isolated for so many years that they would likely have trouble understanding High German. I will say (as I probably speak with members of the Amish almost weekly because of my job) that their ability to seamlessly switch between English and Pennsylvania Dutch even mid-sentence is quite remarkable.

I don’t hunt or fish anymore because I’m scared to death I’d get something I’d have to clean. In South Dakota they used to charge 50 cents a piece to clean and freeze pheasants. No more though. Oh we slept in the VW.

I hit a Pheasant once driving home, killed it, picked it up and my grandmother cooked it up, not a whole lot of meat and was a little dry. Lovely feathers! Never hit a Peacock, but love their feathers! Noisy critters peacocks are! Oh we slept in my 71 nova, I made reclining seats!

Of all people, you’re telling ME . . . ?!

:smiley:

Yes, I’m sure it is remarkable, but here in southern California, somebody being able to switch languages mid-sentence is not uncommon

2 Likes

Easy, big fella…he’s telling everyone. I, for one, didn’t know.

;-]

1 Like

More impressive in person, at least no commercials, Wildcat Mn rd, ie hwy 33 Love coastal hwy in CA, Redwoods

We are somewhat meandering with languages but do manage to keep it car related somewhat. Speaking of people seamlessly changing languages, around here in Minnesota, I’ve noticed more than once at the junk yard or auto parts place, an adult will have their young kid along. The kid will translate from the father’s Spanish to English to tell the counter person what is wanted. It’s actually kind of impressive to see that kind of family unity, and it is a little hairy to be in a country that you don’t speak their language and they don’t speak yours, or so they pretend anyway.

Yeah nice road except I see a deer jumping out at every bend in the road.

@bing being a MN and ND guy do you remember Bill Grogans goat? Wife and I were talking about songs we remember from childhood, she is like no wonder you are so demented. Now she was remembering John Jacob Shingelheimer Schmidt! We used to sing them in the car on road trips when am stations faded out, no fm

I dunno I must have been sleeping late or something. Never heard either of those in these parts. Its about travel though so don’t think we’ll be shut down.

It’s definitely not uncommon here too, especially among our Hispanic population. I think what is so remarkable to me (and my language woeful ear outside of some Quebecian French) is that they managed to make any version of Dutch sound less guttural and merge it in and out of English so easily and rapidly.

(to keep this automotive related) Pennsylvania is looking at requiring the Amish to register their buggies since those wonderful metal rimmed wheels chew up the roads so much. I’m curious to see 1. if it actually passes, 2. if the local Amish will register their buggies, and 3. if the money actually gets put into the local DOT budgets to help with road repairs (I’m extremely skeptical about #3…)

I imagine the Amish community has some clout, so I don’t see #1 or #2 passing.

1 Like

Do they actually vote? :thinking:

Because of the way that they seem to shun everything that does not emanate from their own religious/social circle, I’m not very confident that they actually go to the polls. If they don’t vote, then they don’t really have any clout.

In WI the amish pay $50 a year for the road buggies, due to assumed damage, the frack sand mine trucks pay nothing extra, go figure.

Go figure…indeed…
I guess that the Amish folks need to begin funding their own lobbying staff, as do the folks from the petrochemical/fracking industry.

And, before anyone jumps to the conclusion that I am some kind of radical, I want to point out that I derive a substantial portion of my income from stock in Chevron, Exxon-Mobil, Marathon Oil, Marathon Petroleum, and Vanguard Energy.
:thinking:

I am into some petro stocks also, not for income but long range value, I take the dividends and reinvest, or spend as needed. Given the battery vehicles and gas conservation mandates am I worried? at this point no, long term my thought is the company will adapt and survive to a changeing marketplace.

On a dare I bought U-Haul in March of 2009 and sold it in 2015. The man who dared me jumped deep into GM because his broker was sure GM would never go broke. He hasn’t spoken to me in years.

I remember GM about $8 a share at the low point, I wanted to buy some, wifey said no now at $38, please explain

GM went totally bankrupt in 2009

http://money.cnn.com/2009/06/01/news/companies/gm_bankruptcy/

I bought U-Haul for $23.40 and sold it for $390.