Eyewash and disposal means------------HOW?

We know that, to protect our environment, we should dispose of waste gasoline, diesel fuel, anti-freeze, etc., in a responsible manner: but, HOW?

Do you know of any means which local (even State, and Federal) governments have set up for the DIY (do-it-yourselfer) to economically and easily dispose of vehicle wastes?

Our town dumps here in NH accept these products at no charge for recycling.

On the first Saturday of each month, my county’s recycling center accepts waste motor oil, oil filters, tires, antifreeze, computers, and other electronic devices. It is run very efficiently, it costs nothing to drop the materials off, and county employees even empty the materials from your vehicle.

In addition, 6 times per year, they accept old car batteries, paint, gasoline, kerosene, transmission fluid, brake fluid, pesticides, explosives, appliances containing freon, pool chemicals, and propane gas cylinders.

If your county does not do something like this and/or claims that they don’t know how to set this up, I suggest that you tell them to follow the model of Somerset County, NJ. They can make contact via e-mail at www.co.somerset.nj.us

Just about every parts store around here in North Atlanta, GA accepts waste oil free. And a few places take batteries, tires, and other hazardous waste material for disposal or recycling. Most do it for free, others charge a small fee.

Check you local municipality web site for info. My city takes that stuff in at the City garage for residents. In Mass any store that sells motor oil must take the used stuff for disposal

My local waste management authority accepts household hazardous materials free of charge. They will take waste oil, old paints, anti-freeze, fluorescent bulbs, computer equipment, TVs, and a long list of other materials. They have a brand new, indoor facility and will even help you unload your stuff.

Do a Google search. There should be something in your area.

Wow. Motor oil, batteries and such are no charge in my city. However, TVs, “white goods” (appliances), computers, a/c units, etc., are $10 each.

Earlier this month, I dropped off 3 TVs, a VCR, a computer, a monitor, several telephones, and some paint. As usual, there was no charge, and I sat in my warm car while the recycling staff unloaded the cargo area for me.

Where I live used antifreeze can be poured down the drain and the waste treatment plant takes care of it. Check with your city on the requirements for the disposal of used anitfreeze.

Tester

Use this Forums search feature,as you would expect the disposal/recycle issue has been discussed.This post is not for you hellokit as you are one of the responders people will read when they do the search,it is for people who will read your post.

Look up recycling or trash or something similar in your local government pages of the phone book. Call them and ask what they accept, where you should take it, if there is a fee, and when they are open.It may take more than one call, but the first people you talk to should direct you to the correct agency.

My county takes all sorts of hazardous waste at no fee. You must put it in a designated spot. They take oil, fuel, fertilizer, paint, poisons, mercury (compact fluorescent bulbs), computers; the list goes on.

Generically, the need for disposal of vehicle wastes has been discussed. We have all agreed that it is a Good Thing; but, it is one thing to have an ideal, and another thing to have practical programs sets up, by the various layers of governments, for the individual user to dispose of hazardous materials in ways which are not costs and time and effort prohibitive.
The question still stands, “HOW, in what manner, has your local (State, Fed.) governments made it possible for the average DIY to safely rid s/himself of wastes in a manner which does not require a lot of driving, or other inconvenient ways?” And, how much public notice has that authority disseminated?
I can see why some people just give up and throw the wastes in with the trash.

When you say, “…you must put it [the hazardous waste] in a designated spot…”, do you mean curb side? If so, this would be very workable.

Designated means where they tell you to put it. There can be two or three places in a town of 30,000.