Extreme cold weather = AC compressor and fan not turning on?

Going to get up to 40, after a long stretch of never getting above 12, we are calling that golfing weather,

1 Like

My AC is blowing hot air. Not working - at all. Worked fine last October. Compressor is running, sounds normal. The reason I am back at this thread is because my assumption was - because of everything I wrote in this thread (that somewhere there is a low pressure cut-off switch that prevents the compressor from turning on if the system pressure is too low - which would happen if it was really cold outside) - that conversely - if the compressor is running now, that there has to be some pressure in the system and therefore the leak must be pretty small and perhaps manageable. However, over the past week - as I try to do research on the problem - I am now hearing conflicting information which would potentially mean I am in much more serious trouble. So my question is (and I haven’t been able to find the answer so far) - for my make and model 2001 cavalier 2.2 5-speed manual - is the reason for the compressor not turning on when it is very cold outside (1) because there is a low pressure cut-off switch. or (2) because of the outside/ambient temperature ALONE regardless of internal system pressure?

On HVAC systems, you really don’t need to do research. If it doesn’t work, take it to a qualified shop and leave it alone. There are two cutoffs. One is for low pressure to save the compressor from burning up, and the other is for low temp. I don’t know what the cut off point is, maybe 32, or 40 but if it is too cold out, the AC system won’t turn on.

It’s pretty common for a system to lose freon over the winter when it is not being used and come Spring find out that it doesn’t work. Likely a small leak but have a shop test for leaks, repair the leak, and recharge the system again and all should be well.