Extended warranty

I have a 2007 BMW 335 xi. I am planning to keep it for a long time. So far I have had to have the fuel pump replaced twice and turbo chargers worked on. The warranty is going to expire. They are offering an extended warranty covering everything except cosmetics like paint, trim, tires for $4200 for 5 years. Is this worth it?

The answer is… maybe. Understand this is not a true warranty but an insurance policy.You would be dealing with an insurance company. Regardless of what the car salesman tells you, the insurer has the final word on whether they would pay your claim… or not. And the fine print does not ever work in your favor.

In general, I would advise against purchasing such insurance. The insurer expects to make a profit on such policies. Every so often they may have to pay out more than the cost of the policy, but most often they never do. I recommend you take your chances with out-of-pocket payment for repairs.

Don’t bother if its not a BMW backed one.

Is it worth it, likely not.

The turbo 6 BMWs have had your problems pretty frequently, so if it is a BMW warranty (make absolutely sure it is) it might be worth avoiding the worries. On average, you’ll lose money, of course, but it might be worth it for peace of mind.

I’ve NEVER EVER known one to be worth the astronomical amount they charge for these things.

I assume that your fuel pump and turbocharger problems were covered by wayyanty. Did they tell you how much the repairs would have cost if you paid for them? If you can find out, it might give you an idea how likely you are to exceed $4200. Assume a frequency about the same as during the 4 years you have owned it.

Well any car can have major expensive repairs.

The profit to the salesman and company is usually over 50%. So for every $1,000 you spend the insurance company has less than $500 to pay for repairs or they will loose money, something insurance companies do not do. Some people will get nothing back and some will get a lot more than they pay.  Most will get far less. In addition you need to keep in mind that the insurer has worded it to eliminate as many expensive things as they can.

Remember that the seller is out to make money and they get to write the rules and set the price.  They are not going to sell them at a loss so one way or another they are going to have you pay more than they will pay out on average.  

Would you gamble with a car dealer who gets to set all the rules and knows all the odds?   

Your decision has to do with the value of the piece of mind it gives you. If that is worth the cost then buy it. Don't expect it to cover everything however, most are written to keep cost down and exempt what they know will cost them money. 

Good Luck

Is anyone else worried that the problems with these BMWs (fuel pumps because of direct injection, and turbos) result from exactly the technologies most all makers are now using to improve mpgs?

Is anyone else worried that

Not me. “Don’t worry Be Happy” :slight_smile: