Extended Warranty

Hello,have an 2003 Volvo S80. My warranty has expired and I am considering purchasing an extended warranty (bumper to bumper) for 12 months. I am learning that everything seems to be going wrong with this car and I want to keep it going for a little longer but without paying for it all myself. Just wondered if anyone has any suggestions as to which company is good for extended warranties and what I should expect to pay. I made one call today and I am aware that there is negotiating room. I would appreciate any advice you all might have to offer.

Do not buy any third party warranty. They have a poor satisification rate.

Chance it or sell the car soon.

As Andrew said, buy ONLY a Volvo warranty, if you buy one at all. Many other can be next to worthless, much more trouble than they’re worth.

They usually have a “deductible” or “co-pay” that more than pays for the repair…Then there are waiting periods, exclusions, exceptions, pre-existing conditions, all the insurance company stuff. READ THE FINE PRINT…

On top of all that, it seems maybe half of them are not legitimate businesses at all, with a trail of upset customers in their wake.

The average person buying a warranty gets back very roughly half of the cost.

If you still want to do it, you probably want to go only with the manufacturer. There are many complaints about third-party companies either using the fine print to avoid paying or going bankrupt. However, at least some manufacturers only sell the extended warranty on cars that are still within the regular warranty, so hopefully Volvo isn’t one of them.

read the fine print and be prepared to bite when the dealer mechanic barks bull poopy remarks. my boss extended his and his o2 sensor went out, they dealer tried ripping him off and kept his car for a WEEK!

i’de only extend it as an incentive to resale it. but ONLY go with manufacture extended warranty. sometimes they exclude “wear-and-tear” so be prepped.

You’re going to be paying for the repairs yourself, either by buying the extended warranty (and contributing your own time and frustrations) or paying out of pocket for the repairs. I can feel your pain, but I’d also chance it, keep the money in my bank account, and plan on selling the car in a year or so. Good luck.

Paying for a warranty will probably be just as expensive as paying for the repairs. You don’t think you’ll get something for nothing, do you?

As others have stated, most after market warranties aren’t worth the paper they’re printed on. The latest issue of Car and Driver magazine has an excellent article on this subject.

Either pay the repair/maintenance costs out of pocket or trade the car for something less troublesome. Buying a warranty for a six year old car is a waste of money.

Paying for a warranty will probably be just as expensive as paying for the repairs. You don’t think you’ll get something for nothing, do you?

It is even worse that that. Only if you think the insurance companies are providing the insurance without making a profit or paying for their overhead.

Even if they don’t make a profit, they still have to pay their overhead, buildings employess etc.

The average person buying a warranty gets back very roughly half of the cost.

Try again…How about less then 5%…Extended warranties are a very very very expensive insurance policy…and very very very profitable for the underwriters.