Extended warranty

I recently purchased an Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 with 24K miles. It was a one owner lease return. I had it inspected by a local dealer prior to purchase and it came back with flying colors. I am wonding if an extended warranty would be a good idea. I can purchase a 5yr/50K mile one at cost. Normally I would not think extended warranties are worth there price but curious of others opinion.

Is that 5 years and 50K miles from now (as in 2014 and 74K miles), or 5 years and 50K miles total (as in 2011 and 50K miles)? What is “cost?”

Normally I’d agree with you regarding extended warranties, but considering the vehicle I’ll go against my own advice and say, “Yes, an extended warranty might (might) be a good idea.” I’m going to qualify that by saying it is VERY important to read the extended warranty, including the fine print, in detail, before deciding whether or not it’s worth it.

It’s amazing, sometimes, what they don’t cover, and it’s interesting that even an extended warranty only goes to (best case scenario) 75K miles on this vehicle.

In my opinion that speaks volumes. All things considered, I’d still rather put the money in the bank than buy an extended warranty, even on an Audi.

But it’s your money.

5yr/50K from now, so the 2014/74K I can get it for $1650.oo.
You’re right I should read all the details of what this does or more importantly does not cover.

I doubt it’s ‘at cost’, that’s great salesman lingo. Regardless, the only one I would consider would be one backed by Audi. Is the one you’re considering backed by Audi? Just because the dealer is selling it doesn’t mean it is.

I once bought an extended warranty from a dealer on a used vehicle. I missed the part of the contract that states the warranty began on the in-service date of the vehicle, not the date that I bought it.

Normally I’d agree with you regarding extended warranties, but considering the vehicle I’ll go against my own advice and say, “Yes, an extended warranty might (might) be a good idea.”

Consider this. Any insurance company selling these insurance policies are going to know what it is going to cost them to service the policy. They are not going to sell policies for less that they are going to pay out for a specific model. They are in it for the money. If Audi A4s are a problem, they are going to charge enough to cover it. BTW I have a 2002 A4 with 80,000 miles and I can’t complain about the reliability or the cost of maintenance.

If your going to buy one, buy 100k coverage, that usually denotes new car coverage. The 5/50 usually denotes used car coverage and is lesser coverage. Audi covererage will be expensive, but German parts and expensive mechanics may be worth it!