Extended Warranty - is it worth it?

My neighbor plows for a living and buys extended warranties. So, if in that isolated instance you plowed, doubtful, or delivered mail with your car for a living, or drove it as a taxi cab…it’s a thought. Otherwise, the gazintas are working against you. Often though, the warranty is geared to run our before the majority of cars need major repair.
Forget about it.

@SteveCBT
$1000 money back sounds like a good deal, but not on a Toyota. But, It it were 4 wd and you used it roughly, yes, I would have too.

I’ll add this to the mix against “extended warranties.” When I worked in the RV world…extended warranties started at about $1500. About 1/3rd of that sum went to the salesman…1/3rd went to the dealership and 1/3rd went to the extended warranty company. Looking at it in those terms…$500 worth of insurance won’t buy you much at all. I think that’s about what you will get…not much, if anything, at all.

@dagosa: Your friend gets 3rd-party warranty coverage on a commercial use vehicle? I thought racing and commercial use were the first two things that damn near any warranty excluded.

Or is it unstated that friend strips the plow and plays coy if there’s an issue? (Not being disagreeable, just surprised you can get an extended warranty on a plow vehicle…)

Consumer Reports said a few years ago that extended warranties on cars only on average pay out 12 cents of the dollar you pay for them. I have some money in the bank, would anyone like to buy an extended warranty from me?