Explain this optical illusion

Modern HDTV doesn’t really strobe like the old CRT TVs did. They don’t have a frame rate, they have a refresh rate, and only the pixels that have a different brightness value change. This allows high definition without having a ridiculously huge bandwidth.

This is very true, and from what I know, they don’t go black (or gray) between changes like a CRT does, so they don’t flicker at all.

Explain this optical illusion!

At least it has something to do with cars.

Tester

1 Like

@Tester . I watched that show when they did that one.
Amazing what he can do.

Yosemite

This discussion is a prime example of why I enjoy reading on this forum. In addition to learning how better to maintain my car, I learn an abundance of interesting things about an extensive array of other related topics. Thank you, as always, to those who share your varied knowledge. :grin:

… Still reading, still learning! …

1 Like

It’s the “Cattle Car Syndrome”.

There are two cars, one with the moonroof and one without. The driver is in on the illusion. Pull the one with the moonroof in, test it, then cut the scene and replace it with the car without the moonroof that has the magnetic appliqué. Remember, this isn’t live, it is filmed. Still, a neat trick to arrange everything so that it appears there is only one car.

And I thought if was done with “Smoke and mirrors”.

Yosemite