Expensive Volvo Repair

My 59 Lark Wagon had an oil filter, maybe it was optional. I had an 87 Plymouth Reliant 2.5 and an 87 Plymouth Caravelle 2.2 , both were peppier than my Lark. I also had a 60 HP 71 VW Bus, talk about slow. Max cruising speed was 68, you could get 72 out of it but you would burn the valves.

Dad had a similar vintage Bug (He’s forgotten the exact year other than being light blue) that he purchased his senior year of college

By today’s standards, I would say a Volvo 240 would not be considered a luxury car

But by the standards of their day . . . when they were being sold as new cars . . . yes, they were definitely upscale cars. Obviously not as high up there as Rolls-Royce or Jaguar, but definitely a step above the average Chevy Cavalier or Toyota Corolla of the day.

Thanks for letting me know. I knew someone that a 240 wagon and later someone that had a 740

I wonder whether Reverse was lower than First gear. Dad could have backed up the hill with the family aboard. :grinning:

In the Model T days they would sometimes need to back up hills. That was because the fuel tank was such that there would be fuel starvation because of where the outlet was.

Two suggestions:

• Check reputable body shops in your area, their labor rates might be considerably less than at your dealership. That might cut the labor portion of the cost by 1/3 or more and might save on parts costs.

• Do an internet search on the repair and, if you’re up for it, dig in. Be sure of which parts need replacing and of the tools you’ll need, you might want to invest in (inexpensive) body molding removal tools (tapered plastic levers).

10 yrs is about what to expect from struts. They also can last longer if exercised regularly to keep the seals “sealed”. In the event Volvo brand parts are required, one often can save a fair amount at on-line vendors, just be sure of the part numbers.

I don’t need suggestions , this about 7 hours of labor to replace the parts and requires a lot of room to do this . Plus these parts for this repair are not common items . Exercise the struts ? Get serious , this is the rear hatch where you put groceries and anything else you are going to carry.

1 Like