Exhaust System Replacement

Yup. They’re now made of Stainless instead of galvanized. This brings the cost up. Plus the fact that you hardly ever have to replace them. Our 1996 Accord was the last vehicle we ever had to replace an exhaust on. Even my 98 Pathfinder with over 400k miles on it when we got rid of it had it’s original exhaust. Midas (and all muffler shops) had to change their business model just to stay alive.

1 Like

Down here in the south we don’t have to deal with the rust as much and our exhaust normally rust from the inside out from the condensation…

1 Like

Are we sure this is not yoshi under a new handle? Sure sounds like similar machinations over a simple issue.

4 Likes

Probably not following the 3 step curing process by not getting the 3rd step to a high enough temperature. I tried to do this by running the engine and then driving the car. Using a quality product like POR15 would have been better.

It is Yoshi

My son is driving my 2014 Mazda 6 with over 190,000 miles on it. It has lived every day of its life in the rust belt of Western NY. The gas tank rusted out, but the exhaust is factory original and does not leak. Stainless exhaust systems last a LONG time these days. When replacing exhaust systems you can go high quality stainless, in which case it is a one time replacement (on most cars) or you can go cheap and replace it every couple of years (or at least repair it).

I agree that exhaust work is best done by professionals while I drink their coffee, even if it is often terrible.

1 Like

Kids vue muffler rusted out. I found a new sst muff in junkyard for $15. And i ended up driving it now that she got a new car. Funny how life works

So if just used copper anti seize on the new exhaust fasteners, like completely smother them in them after assembly, should prevent rust?

I doubt if anyone has done this silly rust prevention application . So why don’t you do it and report back annually on how it worked.

1 Like

Yeah.

The exhaust hardware already has a galvanized coating on it and it still rusts.

Go ahead and smear that lipstick on there and let us know how that worked out for you.

Tester

2 Likes

Yep, waste of time and effort.

1 Like

Or, you could coat each fastener with grease each oil change. Whatever floats your boat!
With exhaust systems usually lasting more that ten years, I certainly would not bother.

+1

The last time that I had to replace any exhaust components was back in the '70s. I have had 6 cars since then, and none of them ever needed any exhaust system repairs.

Which type of grease would withstand exhaust temperatures? Can you recommend one? I would be interested if one exists.

You just don’t quit do you . You claim to have 2 degrees and you don’t know how to do research . Most people here are not going to put grease on the exhaust ( which is a waste of time ) so why should we do your research.

1 Like

I’m not putting anything flammable, like grease, on my exhaust system. Even ignoring any fire risk, the stink!

2 Likes

Yea that’s why I was surprised when someone suggested grease, don’t think such a grease exists. Best I can think of, is running the experiment, if copper based anti seize keeps bolts from seizing and rusting in place, and is used on O2 sensors for the exhaust from the factory, than should be ok on exterior of fasteners in exhaust, shouldn’t be a fire hazard or burn up.

Grease will create smoke and will not last, they are trolling you.

1 Like