Excessive fuel burn

CAR HAS BEEN TUNED UP, O2 SENSOR REPLACED, THERMOSTAT REPLACED, TPS REPLACED. CAR RUNS FINE BUT BURNS TWICE THE AMOUNT OF FUEL IT DID BEFORE THE TPS SENSOR REPLACEMENT AND THE TUNE UP. GETTING ABOUT 10 MPG.

307 CI GASOLINE ENGINE

Roscoe, Was The Correct Temperature Thermostat Installed ?
What Model-Year Olds Are You Working On Here ?

CSA

THANKS FOR THE QUICK REPLY. THERMOSTAT WAS 190 DEGREES, I BELIEVE, AND WAS SUPPOSEDLY THE CORRECT ONE. ANOTHER THING I DID NOT MENTION EARLIER, THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON AT ABOUT 60 MPH. DO NOT KNOW IF THIS IS BECAUSE THE ENGINE HAS WARMED UP OR DUE TO SOMETHING
ELSE.

CAR IS 1985 TORONADO

Roscoe, Were You Able To Get Any Diagnostic Codes Out Of The Car’s Computer ?

CSA

I BELIEVE THE MECHANIC SAID 045

Roscoe, Here’s A Couple Of Links To Click.

045 or 45 is the Oxygen Sensor Circuit (Rich Exhast Indicated). Cick the second link and you’ll see it. I wonder if that is a code you’re still getting. You must be running rich if your not leaking gas. I’d see what other codes are there, too.

I had to click on the picture of the Data Link Connector socket to get the whole picture. Notice the little tab at the top of the connector to help match it to your’s. I’ve seen a couple cars that have the socket installed upside-down. Match it up to orient the letters.

http://autorepair.about.com/library/ts/obd-i/bl-dtcs-05.htm?once=true&
These are the codes and their translations. They indicate which circuit to check out, not necessarily which part to replace.

CSA

WILL CHECK THE LINKS AND ALSO CHECK WITH THE MECHANIC FOR OTHER CODES. IT MAY BE SOME DAYS BEFORE I CAN GET BACK TO THIS AS AM GOING TO WORK OUT OF TOWN. AS SOON AS I COME BACK WILL RESUME THE SEARCH.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP SO FAR, CSA. WILL CHECK BACK WITH YOU WHEN I FIND OUT MORE.
THANKS AGAIN.