Even farmers have trouble driving

I thought that you all may get a kick out of seeing what problems farmers have driving.

Yosemite

Reminded me, back some years ago in South Dakota where the wife is from, it was a really wet spring and a guy got his $100K 4WD tractor stuck like that one. When he pulled it out, he pulled it in two. It was one set back after another that year and the guy went home and shot himself. So I have some sympathy for some of those predicaments.

True that, this also

Wow. Scary. Being that they’re all from Iowa State University, I can only surmise (hope) that they’ve been compiled to show the students that no matter how big and invincible farm equipment seems… it isn’t. A lot of these are unpredictable and therefore unpreventable, but some shouldn’t have happened. But, then, farming is a hard and physical business. Risks are part of the equation.

The first pic of the tractor buried to the axle in mud reminds me of a farmer here who got his combine stuck in soft ground near the edge of the road. It was also about 3 feet down in the mud.

The farmer and his son had 2 vehicles there with plenty of chain to pull it out as the road was pretty dry. They had the choice of a Case tractor or a 1978 Datsun 620 series pickup with the 2L 4 banger.

After some thought they chose the Datsun. This of course led to clutch failure and frying the engine. Everytime the truck would come to a stop after that the oil smoke would completely surround the truck and lead to much coughing and some laughter from bystanders.

On a statistical basis farming is a more dangerous occupation than police work, something most people are totally surprised to find out.

They had a choice between a Case and a '78 Datsun and they chose the Datsun?
Must have been the Case in the first photo and not the one in the second photo… :smiley:

No, the Case in question was somewhere in size between the two. If you knew these guys you would see stuff like that is the norm with them.

They called me one time to ask about tearing into the transmission on a 2 ton wheat truck. When I got there the panel was off the tunnel and the son (30 odd years old) was flailing away on the transmission with an 8 pound sledge trying to get the shifter and top cover off. I pointed out that there were still 2 bolts holding it on but by then he had already cracked the top cover…

On another vehicle getting a new clutch the father misplaced the 2 10 MM metric nuts for the lower bell housing studs so he pounded a couple of 3/8 NC nuts onto the metric studs with a ball peen…

On the edge of town the combine caught on fire. Rather than throwing dirt or carrying a fire extinguisher he called the fire dept. and when a couple of volunteers showed up he opens the door of his truck, pulls out his lunch, and sits down under a shade tree to chow down while the blaze is getting bigger…

These guys would make the Keystone Cops proud…

LOL, sounds like they’d make a good reality show. :smiley:

WOW. I guess when the farmer in the John Deere about wrecked me it wasn’t so bad. ( :

That is why it is better to get stuck in snow than mud. When you get stuck in the snow there is usually a road someplace down there to dig to.