EV vs ICE and Marriage

I think all EV’s should have to go through tail pipe emissions also… :rofl: :rofl: :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Okay, but what does the wife think?

We tried out a Hyundai Ioniq 6 and found where we could buy one with a 361 mile range.

Umm, real world range will be less, significantly so if the A/C or heat is used or the vehicle is driven at high speeds consistently. Consumer Reports got 270 miles out of theirs’s C&D got 260 miles out the long range RWD model and 220 miles out the AWD version.

That leaves us with a good old standby: The Chevrolet Malibu. In other words, a conventional car. A gas guzzler.

The Malibu isn’t really what I would call a “gas guzzler” The later models tended to get around 30 MPG, by my standards (which are probably different that yours), that’s not terrible.

It’s not 1983 anymore. Modern cars can get away less frequent oil changes. Every 5k is fine for most cars, a bit higher if the car is used for highway driving. In general , every 5k miles is good number to go by, maybe every 7500 miles if you’re racking up highway miles and have fewer short trips. Most newer ICE powered cars will have an oil life monitor. As for the emissions, well that’s a function of where you live. Where I live we don’t have emissions testing (but we do have an annual safety inspection).

So…what kind of car should we get?

How about another Prius?

I want to get out of tailpipes.

Is that desire compatible with the type of commuting your wife is going to be doing?

No, the Tesla is absolutely not an option - I don’t want to give my reasons except to say we just don’t want a Tesla.

Is that code for “Elon doesn’t have the correct opinions anymore”?

Why? If it’s a proper/cost effective vehicle for your needs, then I wouldn’t dismiss it just because you’re too bougie for a tailpipe. You didn’t specify what kind of commute your wife is doing, so it’s very possible that an EV could work. If you live in an urban area and have a place to charge the EV, then yeah, it makes sense. If your wife has to drive 150 miles on the highway every day, then a hybrid or ICE vehicle starts to make more sense. Also most religions pre-date the automobile, so I’m not sure where the tail pipe being a sin comes into play.

Split the difference get another Prius/ Prius plug-in.

2 Likes

The reason was pretty much strongly given in those 2 sentences… lol
A simple I don’t like the styling, or I don’t like the dash, or I don’t like the whatever, would of made your point… :wink:

2 Likes

The Op probably will not return to see this but just in case. Tom Magliozzi passed away several years ago and as far is known Ray does not post here . Also the show was stopped a long time ago .

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that you’re Ray unleashed. :crazy_face:

On a call back around 93, ray asked thehusbans “who,'s car is this?” Boneville SSE va Ceown vic was the debate. Hubby wanted the Ford for less $. Tom said the car was less than years of alumony.

And with electricity, you can often CHOOSE the source of your power if “willing to pay for the privilege.”

Maine has 54% from non-fossil fuel sources right now and for an extra $17.90 a month on my bill I choose 100% renewables. <megreenpower.com>

Would be very surprised there was not a similar program in Cali…

We were recently shopping for a car. Mostly my 40 miles a day commute but also a weekend car. I, like the OP, thought if I went EV the kids will be happy with the cool factor. So I was looking at used Model Y Tesla’s through their site. But my kids actually didn’t like the idea of an EV. Issues like the shifter, the screen and the range anxiety-this is despite them being environmentally conscious. I am kinda neutral.
We looked at Toyota Corolla Cross hybrid and also the new Prius and like the OPer noticed the way Toyota loads them, they end up being pretty pricey.
The I looked into the RAV4 hybrid and apparently since this is the last model yr, you can get a decent deal. So we got a RAV4 hybrid for $1K bellow MSRP.
Right now after around 500 miles I am getting around 50 miles per gallon. Haven’t put gas in the car yet.

2 Likes

Anything new takes some getting used to. Our 2019 Odyssey uses a push button transmission. I like my Model 3’s stick on the column much better. One click up for neutral and two clicks for reverse. One click down for neutral and two clicks down for drive. Push the button on the end of the stall for park and then push and hold for the parking brake. Really easy.

I had range anxiety until I drove to our daughter’s house in Richmond, about a149 mile trip. I needed to recharge before driving home and that was only about an hour round trip and charging to the Supercharger. If it hadn’t been a wet day I would have gone for a walk. I’m taking a 180 mile trip next week and already have my charging stop planned at my destination.

I was concerned about the center tablet too, but during the test drive I found that it didn’t bother me at all. I really like the big GPS map on the rightmost 2/3 of the screen and the traffic proximity screen on the leftmost 1/3 is useful too. At 40 miles per day you would likely have to charge once per week and that’s not a big problem, especially if you install a level 2 charger at home. I realize that you already chose a PHEV and this is mostly for others in a similar situation. Enjoy the RAV4.

1 Like