Engine warranty

I wonder why they did away with them…they must have hired new lawyers.

No doubt.:slight_smile:

A few years back a guy in a neighboring town bought a clean old SAAB and after hearing that I knew something about them brought it by for a lookover. It was old but showroom clean and had less than 40k miles on it.
The car really needed nothing other than plugs and filters and it was good to go.

A few months later I get a call and he’s in trouble. He had purchased a manual, saw the part about adjusting the waste gate, and figured he would perk it up a bit. Based on what he told me about the waste gate I theorized that he had changed the boost pressure from approx. 8 PSI up to about 25. Ouch.

During a test run he managed to wipe the engine when he popped the head clean loose and knocked out some pistons. This model did not use an EGR valve so this made the looming problem even more likely.

I wonder if the engine explosion on the OP’s car could be pistons giving up due to an inoperative EGR, poor grade of gasoline, etc.?

Could be. I doubt we’ll hear from the OP again.

I opted to take his description of “literally exploded” as being euphamistic, and to give him the benefit of the doubt. But hey, who knows.