Engine oil brands

Consumer Reports did an extensive test of engine oils about 10 years ago. They installed newly rebuilt Chevrolet V-6 engines in a New York cab fleet. There were no engine failures that could be attributed to the engine oil, although there were some differences among the different brands of oils. Within the same brand of certain oils, the oil differed from one region of the country to another. My guess is that the same refinery may supply oil to distributors under different labels so that oil doesn’t have to be shipped as far. This may explain why all oil containers are the same except for the label and color.

I know, I grew up in new england. I always kept my good cars in the garage during the winter and drove beaters when there was snow and/or salt on the roads. I agree that the rust belt is tough on cars, not taking them out in the salt is about the only sure way to preserve them. I always had a beater or two when I lived there.

I finally solved that problem - I moved someplace without road salt about 20 years ago. I’m actually surprised they still use salt there, in addition to eating cars it’s an environmental issue. In CO we just have sand, it’s a little tough on paint and windshields but that’s much easier to fix than rust.

Actually cars here in NE do pretty well. Especially with the way cars are built these days. They are far less prone to rust then they were 20 years ago…even 10 years ago.

Even cars in Upstate NY (where the real snow and rust is) after 10 years show NO sign of rust.

I’ve been using the store brand regular oil from AAP for the past 5 years or whatever is on sale for less. Change every 5k, no problems. Costs me about $13 for 5 qts. oil and filter.

yeah same here

I’ve been using Castrol in my old 1989 Honda Accord since new. I now have 435,000 miles on it, no engine problems. A few years ago I started using 20W50 during the warmer months, 10W30 in the colder months. I lose about 1/4 of a quart every oil change due to “drippage”. I always change at 3000-5000 miles, filter too. Oil changes are cheap and easy, no sense skipping one or going cheap on the oil/filter. The Accord uses 4 quarts per change ($12 bucks?) and a filter ($3?) Every 15-20k I use techron or seafoam in the gas tank. USE GOOD OIL AND CHANGE IT REGULARLY.

I was just at the auto parts store the other day and Mobil had conventional oils on the shelf.

if your talking about the mobil 5000,7500 I believe thats a synthetic blend now. I haven’t seen the old mobil for over a year in my area now.(ND)

According to their web site, “Mobil Clean 7500” is a synthetic blend, but “Mobil Clean 5000” is conventional:

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_Clean_High_Mileage_FAQs.aspx#FAQs3

Is there a reason (other than cost) that you are looking for a conventional oil?