Engine misfire codes keep going from cylinder 2 misfire to cylinder 4 misfire

About a month ago I changed the front 3 plugs on my Ford Edge which are cylinders 2, 4& 6. Yesterday I changed the back ones which are cylinders 1, 3& 5. After I get done, I start it up and go for a ride. The engine light comes on and the car starts spitting and sputtering. Then the engine light starts blinking so I turn around and go home. I hook up the scanner and it says cylinder 2 misfire. I check everything and erase the code. I go down the road and the same thing happens so I go home. I hook up the scanner and its now a cylinder 4 misfire. I erased the codes a few more times and it kept going between cylinder 2 & 4 misfire, never both at the same time. I didn’t even do any work on the front plugs but I did have to remove the intake to change the rear plugs. I can’t find the problem so I need a little help please. Could I have possibly damaged the intake? Im lost and need help. Thanks.

When did Ford change the cylinder numbering on the V6 ?

Use to be one bank was 1,2,3 and the other bank was 4,5,6

2 Likes

Since the Edge was made from 2007 till now it would help if we knew the year and just incase the engine size, since some years had more than one V6…

Where did you get the sparkplugs? Counterfeit plugs are a serious problem. 2 and 6 may have just failed.

Of your front side head gasket is failing between 2 and 4.

1 Like

Im sorry guy’s. I thought I put that information in here. Its a 09 Edge with the 3.5. I put NGK Iridium plugs in therem

Purchased from where?? Amazon has become notorious for counterfeit plugs.

According to what I’m seeing for the 09 Edge FWD V6 3.5L engine, you are right, one bank is numbered 1,2,3, and the other is 4,5,6. The 1,2,3 bank is on the right side of the engine, presumably that’s the part towards the rear of the engine compartment, inconveniently under the intake manifold.

OP, suggest to make sure where cylinder 2 and 4 are located on your engine, as ID’d by your scan tool. Perhaps your scan tool software is what is causing the confusion.

As far as what could be causing a misfire, usually it is either spark, fuel, or compression problem. Since the work involved the spark plugs, first guess, some sort of spark problem. Faulty plugs, wiring to coils or grounds disturbed, etc.

Did you have to change the gap? That task can be a little tricky to do successfully on iridium spark plugs.

The plugs were brought from Advance Auto. They were all gapped correctly.
This thing is running horribly. Spitting and sputtering. It takes forever to get to 55. Im thinking he had to do something to it but im just nit finding it.

This problem seems to have started immediately after you replaced the 3 back spark plugs. Common sense says to try doing that job again, using 3 new spark plugs obtained from known-good source. The fact that the misfire seems to move from one cylinder to another at random is probably caused by the computer not being able to determine precisely which one is misfiring. It makes this measurement based on the acceleration (or not) of the crankshaft, and it may not have quite enough granularity in the sensor information to tell which of the two cylinders it is.