Engine light

Is it just my car or is Subaru known for the engine light coming on all the time? Since I have owned the car (2003) I have replaced the O2 sensors twice and the catalytic Converter. 4 weeks ago I had the 2nd O2 replaced and the light was on in just a week. I have done everything I can maintain it. Every time I go to my technician it cost 75 to scan. This is getting old. I am to the point of ignoring the engine light and just checking the fluids when I fill up.

I check the gas cap everytime I fill up and the car has only 115,000 miles

It is good to check fluids everytime you fill up but your engines fluid levels have no connection to the “engine light”. Scans can be had for free at Auto Zone,I am leaning towards mechanic error or mechanic lazyness.

You could buy a scan tool for $75 and use it as many times, and on as many cars, as you wish.
When the engine is well maintained, and burns no oil, or anti-freeze, or excess fuel, the catalytic converter and oxygen sensors will last for a very long time (more than 115,000 miles).
Get the engine repaired. If your mechanic doesn’t know how, go mechanic shopping.

I agree with hellokit. You need a new (competent) mechanic.

My experience with two Subarus ('97 and '02) is that the CEL is not a chronic “visitor” on these cars. In fact, the only time that the CEL ever lit up on either of these 2 cars was on one occasion when an evaporative emissions solenoid valve failed on the '02. Twenty minutes after pulling it into the dealer’s service dept, I left with a free (warranty) repair, and an extinguished CEL, which has never reappeared.

I can add that neither car ever needed replacement of either the catlytic converter or the O2 sensors.

You have to remember that the CEL informs you that there is a mechanical or an electronic problem. A competent mechanic will be able to interpret the codes in such a way that he correctly deduces what the source of the problem is. Clearly, your mechanic has not yet figured out what ongoing issue(s) this car is experiencing. You need a new mechanic.

To add to the good information you already have, consider that many auto parts stores will read the code for free and tell you want it is. You don’t need to pay $75 for that. Maybe you need a different mechanic.

BTW it would be a good idea to get the actual codes (like P1234) not someone’s translation of what they mean. Post back with the codes and we might have different advice.

I’ve been having the same problem with my car…did you ever figure out what was wrong with it?