Engine light stays on

to get an inspection, I need the negine light to go off. the dealer has shut it off and it comes on—as I approach the inspection station.

How do I fix it so that it does alert to real concerns. It’s a 1999 Subaru Legacy.

You could try getting the real concern fixed…?

Aren’t any—now what?

Need to find out why the CEL is coming on. If you haven’t already take your car to one of the several carparts stores that pull them for free and have them pull any codes that may be set in your ECM. Then post the Code numbers that are present. Have them reset your CEL.

If there isn’t any codes and the CEL is on then you either have a short to your CEL or you might have a bad ECM or wiring from the ECM to the diagnostic plug and unable to pull the codes.

How is your engine running? Does it seem to idel properly? Do you have any miss in your engine at idel, at acceleration or at constant speed?

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code not just their translation into English and post it back here.