Engine Light On

I drive a used 2007 Mazda 3 hatchback that I just bought about 1 year 3 months ago. I love the car and have had no issues with it yet, but this morning my check engine light came on. I checked the gas cap and re-secured it, I even went to the gas station and filled up just to be doubly sure this was not the problem. In the past I’ve been hustled by big name mechanic shops when I’ve taken in previous cars due to check engine lights in terms of high charges for hooking up machines to my car with only minor outcomes. I really want to avoid this and am scared of being taken advantage of…any suggestions???

Take it to the local AutoZone, have the read the fault code(s) and post it(them) here.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

Thanks! I just went down to AutoZone. The guy there checked my codes and was able to turn off the check engine light with his machine. Although I tried the gas cap myself, he said that it was the problem, and it had to be done by the machine. So problem solved! And now I know what to do next time.

Thanks!

I’d qualify that with a “maybe”.

If it comes back on, write down the codes the reader has on them and post them back on here so we can advise you further

Will do. Thanks!