Engine light came on and began running rough

I’ve got a 1995 Tacoma with 223,0000 miles. Yesterday the engine light came on and it began running rough (ie. cutting in and out like not getting gas)the light would blink for awhile then stay on, then blick for awhile, etc.) It’s now idling rough. I checked for disconnected/damaged vacuum hoses and saw none. The day before I resecured the after market cruise control unit as the mounting bracket had broke. Don’t know if I did something then but there don’t seem to be any wires disconnected in that area. This was an immediate problem, as I ran the truck all day yesterday and there was no problem- then all of a sudden, this.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

Until you get the system scanned for trouble codes, anything that any of us suggests will be just a shot in the dark. However, one problem is that your truck most likely has the old OBD1 system that gives much less specific codes than the OBD2 system. (Instead of the 4 digit codes of the OBD2 system, your system will probably yield only 2 digit codes, and they are not as helpful in diagnosis as 4-digit codes.)

Call a few auto parts retailers to ask if they can scan an OBD1 system for you. Hopefully one of the parts guys in your area can do it for you.

The procedure for getting the codes may just involve the “key dance”, which you can do yourself once you obtain the directions for that procedure. After getting the code(s), come back to this thread to post them for more specific advice.

The symptoms indicate it could as simple as a failed 02 sensor. A good auto parts store can tell you which one to replace or even if that is the problem.