Engine experiencing some hesitation when starting. What can be the cause?

'05 Camry

I tried starting my car and was unable to for about three attempts. I was able to get the car started on the fourth attempt.

For each attempt, the dash lights and clock did turn on, but at one point I did notice the clock to be a bit dim. The dash lights blinked a couple times when attempting to start the engine.

I heard an unusual sound of “shoo shoo” under the hood on the failed attempts. It sounded like fast laser beams? I also heard a rapid clicking that sounded much closer to the cabin.

Is there anyway I can post a video here?

Instead of a video, how about posting how many miles are on this car, whether the check engine light is on or not and let us know if the car was cranking slowly or normally when you turned the key to start.

3 Likes

+1

Also check to make sure all your battery cable terminals/ends are tight (can’t twist by hand) with NO corrosion anywhere…

2 Likes

120k miles

No CEL

It does seem that the cranking starts a bit later than usual after turning the key. It also might be slower?

So is it or not? We can’t determine that for you.

Try turning the ignition on but not start, off, then on again. Do that 3 or 4 times and then try to start it. If it starts right up, your fuel pump has an issue or possibly a leaking fuel injector or failing pressure regulator. Have the fuel pressure checked to confirm or deny that is the problem.

2 Likes

If the battery connections are clean and tight go to a parts store and have the battery tested. How old is it?

4 Likes

The cranking sound does sound a bit slower to me, but I don’t really know for sure. I don’t usually pay attention to it.

You may be right about the fuel pump being faulty. When I refuel, my car often gives a signal that the tank is full when it isn’t.

I think the car battery is about 2 years/50k miles old.

What is this signal ? I have no idea what that would be .

A 2 year old battery can be bad . This sounds like a time to pay for a diagnostic service by a real shop so you won’t be guessing at the problem.

3 Likes

Tester

1 Like

Yes, Tester’s video shows what happens with my car except it happens after my tank is maybe 80-90% full, so its not much of an issue.

I’d get the battery and charging system checked, it’s free at most parts stores.

1 Like

If there is a battery issue, would the battery light normally come on?

Just go have the charging system checked .

1 Like

The battery icon in the instrument cluster is the charging system warning (alternator).
There is no warning light for a weak battery.

2 Likes

The goal here is to confirm the simpler, less expensive stuff (battery and alternator) are working before going after the more complicated possibilities. And it’s free to do.

1 Like

At 19 years old, the starter would be another thing to consider.

2 Likes

As mentioned above, there are many possible causes for the “fails to crank” symptom. If I had to guess, a loose or corroded battery connection. There’s a voltage test that you or your shop can do that will narrow it down more.

1 Like

I do think it has something to do with the battery because I noticed my clock light was dim for a while when I had the car on, and engine off.

So I looked back at old posts… this car has been in a flood. This car has a replacement engine. All bets are off. Corrosion from the flood may be raising its ugly head.

4 Likes