Emissions tricks?

Well… how’d it turn out?

After changing the plugs, oil and air filter, I went down to emissions. On the way I added Denatured alcohol(1/4 gallon to 1.5 gallons of 91 octane). My emission were actually higher! I think my problem is a vacuum leak. Either way, it’s going to the shop today. I’ll re post tonight to let everyone know what the problem was. Thanks for all the help guys.

As “bad” as you think the regs. are why don’t you fix your car right? it will even run better.

There is nothing wrong with having your truck meet a 250 HC and 2.00 CO standard,this standard is quite generous.

The problem turned out to be a bad vacuum leak at the brake booster. I put a new one on and the truck has never run better. The reason I didn’t want to fix it is because it needs a new motor anyway.

What about your diminished brake system performance,we should all just get out of your way,probably better than staying close and breathing your exaust,their is no reason to put off brake system repair,if you can’t keep the brakes up,park it.

Great to know you used that vacuum gauge to find the large vacuum leak.! Now, to go to 400,000 miles…

The brakes were working fine, the only reason I knew that was the problem is I sprayed starter fluid around the brake booster on accident. The motor smoothed out immediately, and I replaced the booster two days later. I never put off important repairs. That’s why I have a motor with 350,000 miles on it, that runs excellent now. Last summer I used that truck to pull a 4000+ lb boat through the mountains on many occasions. Do you think that truck is still running by luck alone? Don’t even give me advice if you are going to talk down to me.

The brake booster was last last place I expected the leak to be, but it was definitely the vacuum leak. Thanks for the advice.

Anyone that believes that “emissions tricks” are better than fixing the real problem or than they even exist did make it to 350,000 by luck.

And the phrase “bad vacuum leak at boster” and “brakes were working fine” puts your diagnostic skills (and perception)in question.

That’s not really fair. For one, they made PLENTY of these trucks without power brakes-- mine doesn’t have them and I drove it around for a few weeks before I noticed! A leaking booster on this truck could easily escape a casual glance.

Secondly, as for the “emissions tricks” I agree with you that fixing the real problem is usually the solution, but the Arizona emissions testing program is no ordinary smog program! For one, you have to test EVERYTHING, even if your daily driver is a Model T. Even though they supposedly come up with some sort of standard for every car, it’s still really difficult to get older cars that weren’t designed with passing an emissions test in mind to pass-- even though this truck has some emissions equipment, the 49-state version was not expected to face a smog test! This isn’t a matter of just driving up in your newer computerized car with all its gee-whiz devices that automatically keep the emissions as low as possible-- it takes work to get a carbureted car running as clean as possible and sometimes you have to use some “tricks” to make it work right when you’re at the station.

I personally think it’s absurd to be testing cars this old, but maybe it’s because cars last so long in Arizona that there’s enough of them on the road for it to be an issue.

I am from AZ and anything older than 65 (inclusive 65) is exempt from testing.So I don’t know where your Model T comment comes from.
I have prepared hundreds of cars for emissions testing in AZ, not so tough.
I can sure tell when a boster is working or not,espically on a truck with front disc(I don’t know if the OP’s does)

I think metal249’s perceptions were good. He was using starting spray to check for vacuum leaks, and he noted the difference to the engine idle when the fluid was sprayed near the brake booster. Someone could have helped him do vacuum leak checks by instructing him to pull each vacuum hose off, plug it, and note any change to the vacuum gauge or engine idle: but, they didn’t. So, well done, metal249!

He said he couldn’t find the problem and had to take it to the shop,he posts “Either way it’s going to the shop today”

We don’t know if he took it to a repair shop, or not. He stated his intent, on Dec 3. After that, he didn’t actually state if he took the truck to the shop. Either way,he got the help he needed.

The repair shop shop told me it was a vacuum leak. And “made” it pass.

I’m just done posting on here. I was looking for help and I got it. Thanks to everyone except oldschool.

Okay, fair enough… I just knew that you had to test cars from the 60’s and the AZ state website doesn’t mention an age limit. I still think testing stuff from before when there was any federally mandated standards is ridiculous.

My '76 Chev has disc brakes, but no power booster, and it stops fine. The brake system is otherwise pretty much identical between power and manual, so I’d imagine you’d notice if you were comparing the two, but it’s not so obvious if it’s never worked.

The explaination “I was just spraying some starting fluid around” just did not ring true,and you have confirmed my suspicion.