Elusive Starting Problem

Thank you for your thoughts. I disagree on the connector being bad. It is located in the interior; under the carpet. Nothing on it changes with starting or not starting; or even moving down the road (vibration). If the connector was bad; and having a lousy connection - I would see that and the reason the connector would start to heat up - with continual operation of the fuel pump - which is necessary for the vehicle to run. Since no voltage drop occurs at the connector - the connection is excellent - and not the cause of the problem.

Well having the connector inside the vehicle is a good thing alright and I agree, the connector is most likely okay. The main thing I was trying do is get to the end of the line so the voltage could be checked and if the trouble is with the wiring then the meter will see the fault occur. I presume the trouble you are having isnā€™t happening at the current time so if there is a problem with the wiring to the pump you couldnā€™t tell it that at this time. You have to check things when the problem is happening.

Ok - so I came here to post about solving another problem - on a different carā€¦ and saw this post previously made and all. Still have the 88 Camry. The problem was an ā€œintermittent redundant ground.ā€ Toyota (whom I paid to find the problem) found out NOTHING about the problem. Eventually I took it to a guy in Federal Way, WA (performance prep) - who did solve the problem; but the guy was/is also an Ahol and refused to tell me what he had done to FIX itā€¦ and would only state ā€˜witchcraftā€™. Seriously. I had been intending on bringing another vehicle to him as well - but not with his attitude! Anyway - I eventually filed a bunch of documents with the State Attorney; etc. (since a Repair shop is REQUIRED under law to tell you what they didā€¦) and got the info on it being a GROUND problem. What specific ground wire; or how to correct again in the future - have no ideaā€¦ But it was just a ā€˜simpleā€™ ground or redundant ground not being fully groundedā€¦

Itā€™s not uncommon for a shop to discover a potential grounding problem, so they correct all the grounds. That fixes the problem, but b/c they fixed them all at once, they arenā€™t sure which one is was that solved it. Maybe thatā€™s what happened. Iā€™ve done stuff like that myself as a diyā€™er, fixed a bunch of stuff at the same time, and while the problem got fixed, I wasnā€™t sure what it was that fixed it. If thatā€™s what happened, it seems like the shop mechanic should have been willing to tell you thatā€™s what happened and thatā€™s why he canā€™t tell you exactly which wire it was. I have no idea why he wouldnā€™t.

1 Like