Elio Motors looks a lot more more like smoke and mirrors

I have a neighbor with one of those Slingshots. It’s a toy, he knows it’s a toy, and he uses it as a weekend toy. Hey, if you’ve got the money and you want it, I’ve got no problem with it.

Of course, I’d prefer a T-rex…

for the sub-4 second 0-60, but that’s just me. :wink:

The base Can-Am model is $16999 before shipping, handling, and prep. I just looked at the website. Yeah, I agree with your statement.

But, as you said, he probably just wanted a toy. Or to keep up with the Joneses.

I looked into these things when they originally came out for possible commuting use. I was stunned… high price, minimal usability, and less than mediocre gas mileage.

The least expensive Harley Davidson is the Road King with an MSRP of $18,999. The least expensive trike is $26,339, and the MSRP can be over $40,000. I guess it depends what your measuring stick is.

Not the Can Am. As I said, I went to the website.
http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/build-and-price.html

An H-D Sportster 883 is listed at $8949, a Superlow is $8599 and a Street 500 is only $6849. Way less than a Road King.

Harley-D does make their own trikes. The cheapest is the Freewheeler at $26,339

I was quoting the price for a HD trike as a comparison to the Can-Am you mentioned.

1 Like

I was responding to this part of the comment

Oh he CAN do it, he just chooses not to.
I used to work with a guy that was a year round MC rider. Only one day I ever saw him drive anything other than his MC, he brought in his plow truck to show us the work he did on it. I passed him many times on the expressway on the way in to work as we had very similar commute. 35 miles one way. Rain, snow, -10F, you name it, he rode in. He had studded tires in the winter and a heated suit that plugged into the bike…

2 Likes

You ride a bike in NH or upstate NY in the snow you’ll get pulled over and fined and the bike will be hauled off.

Why is that Mike?
Is it just snow on the roads, Ice? ANY sub-32 degree weather?

1 Like

Sorry, I just don’t believe it unless you can cite a reference to it.
NH has no law against winter riding that I can find anywhere.
Their MC handbook makes no mention of any restriction either.
The guy in question rode year round through MA and had plenty of opportunities there but you didn’t cite that state. I live in NH and have ridden in winter but not on snow because I’m too old for that kind of stuff. But back in my youth, I rode year round in WI for a few winters. Challenging getting a bike started in negative temps…

1 Like

Well, although I think that he has more money than brains, I don’t think that the guy is stupid, and to ride that contraption on I-78–at the prevailing speeds of 70-75 mph–in the rain, or in the winter would simply be…stupid…IMHO.

I realized that after reading Mustang’s post. Apologies for any misunderstanding . :slight_smile:

A lot of these newfangled trikes (not the HD) are to me just pocket rockets. We used to call them “sleds”. Newfangled ways for young testosterone-laden guys to tempt fate. I was one of those guys once, a very long time ago, but these toys didn’t exist then. We had MG Midgets instead! :scream: Oh, and there was my buddy’s Isetta! We had our fun… and found our own foolish ways to tempt fate.

3 Likes

It’s called reckless endangerment. Cops can inpound your car for driving on bald tires or falty brakes. Driving in snow on a motorcycle is an accident waiting to happen

I have to respectfully disagree that a motorcycle in the rain or snow is a high percentage accident waiting to happen.
I’ve ridden countless times on 2 wheels in heavy downpours, sub 30 degree weather with snow, and one time even during an ice storm while never going down with the bike.

The percentage would go way up if the rider is being an absolute fool and not using a little care.

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone ever mentioned rain. Where did you read that? Little bit of snow when it’s no accumulating I’m sure a bike would be fine if driver is careful. But snow storms with 2-3 inches already accumulating - no way can a rider operate the bike safely. He should be arrested just for being stupid.

Being stupid isn’t yet a crime because it’s often a matter of opinion. A skilled rider with the right equipment doesn’t find snow much of a hindrance. Much like riding on dirt or mud. There’s a whole sport built around that.

4 Likes

Bull…Just because they can MOVE on a snow covered road…doesn’t mean they are doing in it in a safe manner. I was behind a guy on the highway driving on 3 wheels…Just because he was able to drive down the road doesn’t mean it was safe for him or anyone else around him. What about hills? They don’t have hills where you come from? Traversing down a snow covered hill in a car can be tricky…on a bike - IMPOSSIBLE. Does your helmet or goggles have wiper blades?

Actually, Mike we don’t have hills where I’m from. None. We don’t have snow either. I live in Florida. That’s not the point.

While I would not ride in the snow with my sports touring bike, I’ve seen guys who have, quite successfully, ridden in it in my former state of Ohio. Dirt bikers get giddy when it snows and they can ride to work. Traction from soft, knobbly dirt tires matches winter tires.

As for the cold weather gear, consider it a 2 wheeled snowmobile with the exact same clothing and goggles. A snow suit, boots, and a little anti-fog on the goggles and away you go.

1 Like

As I said…there’s a difference between actually riding and SAFELY riding.