Eliminating Alcohol-Impaired Driving Fatalities: What Can Be Done?

My kids too. But I do have a few cousins who are NOT the brightest bulbs. One cousin is in his 50’s…and gets drunk every Friday. And you’ll never see him drink during the week.

Agreed.
Your daughter is not the kind of person we need to get tough with. It’s the ones who repeatedly get behind the wheel drunk that we need to get tough with.

I get the impression that some here will jump to the defense of drunk drivers, even if they’re repeaters and perhaps even if they kill someone. I have to wonder why.

When I was in Ohio last week, I thought I heard on the radio that the first offense is something like 6 months either jail or revocation. Maybe I heard wrong. Doesn’t matter to me but somehow I’m just suggesting that more draconian laws are not the answer. Seems to be the first thing anyone comes up with is more laws that are ignored by the target market and hinder everyone else.

I had a guy at work that was sentenced to 6 months in jail. I never actually found out what he did but I suspect it was DUI. He came to me for an OK for work release so he could still come to work and spend the nights in the housgau. Yeah I had mercy and said yes and filled out the weekly reports. Would have been a great opportunity to fire him since he would have been gone without leave for six months, but he did good work and was really trying to turn his life around. So what good would it have done me, him, or society in general to lock him up for six months? He died a horrible death about a year ago but my conscience is clear.

Nope, nothing bad can come of this…

;-]

@the_same_mountainbike; my give up remark was sarcastic but the string of periods didn’t go through I guess.

And as for the justice in this state our previous governor Haley Barbour, pardoned 200 criminals at the end of his term, many of them murderers, and some of his critics are certain that the list was long to cover up a particular murderer who killed a married couple, hitting them head on when driving the wrong way while drunk. That lady was the husband of one of the Irby family that has been very generous donating hundreds of thousands to GOP candidates in the state including Mr Barbour. I just searched for a link to the uproar from 6 years ago but it has been pushed aside on every news source that reported it 6 years ago. Discretion with regard to important people down here in the south is a critically important virtue especially in the news business.

I haven’t seen any evidence that anyone here advocates for drunk driving. What are you seeing that I’m missing?

I have a physical problem very similar to yours. So far so good but if I am accused my plan is the same. Refuse the field sobriety test which requires being transported to the nearest official breathalyzer and back to my vehicle after blowing .00.

It can be a real pain @sgtrock21. There is a qualified breathalizer officer on duty most of the time here and insisting that I be tested and ‘certified’ sober is the quickest way home. But since getting the handicap plates I haven’t had anyone report me. While I appreciate the effort to get drunks off the street the marching orders for officers is such a denigrating confrontation where the driver is assumed guilty until proven innocent that I refuse to put up with. And some officers are just not cut out for the job.

Explain yourself @insightful.

But not all of us care… If it doesn’t affect them personally, they just don’t care.

Its because either they, or someone close to them are drunk driving enthusiasts. Its amazing how many people have children or family that are drunks and make excuses for them…

So if you seen a child being kidnapped, or an elderly person being assaulted and robbed you would do nothing? You are a man of great character I see.

The heck with it, don’t effect me. Not my problem. As long as there’s booze in my belly and gas in the tank life is good.

That’s a little silly Rick. If I saw someone on the road impaired, yes I would indeed try to do something about it. But we are talking about prevention. Pulling someone over does not prevent others from reckless driving. Culture does.

And while you worry about people that drink too much, the estimate in the paper today was that 25% of the young drivers on the road are driving distracted. Worry about that. It’s a culture shift to social media causing more distractions driving.

Explain yourself @insightful.

I’ll butt in. First I’ve never understood people that like to get drunk and lose their mental sharpness. But clearly folks that like to go out and drink and to the point of getting drunk are raising the likelihood that they will drive that way, or ride in a car with someone else impaired. Of course the answer is again the culture shift to insure the issue is taken seriously.

I do not see what you see, re pardons, googled haley barbour pardons first link

I’m 68 years old, live in southwestern Ohio, and like Klondike bars.

;-]

I think insightful was making the point that enjoying drinking to drunkenness is dangerous to her health, welfare, and possibly future. It’s a bad thing.

The discussion was about drinking and driving, and I feel that if she keeps away from a steering wheel when she’s been drinking and doesn’t become an angry drunk, it’s her own business and none of mine. Ergo I didn’t comment on it. But I’m very, very glad that neither of my kids drink. Both are middle age now, and both are doing well. If they’d developed a drinking habit when they were becoming adults, they probably would have problems. Hopefully you daughter and her friends will grow out of liking to drink and get drunk. I wish them the best.

I looked a little wider @Barkeydog and found this

where the Irby wife is mentioned but in no detail. Believe me the Irby family throws a lot of weight in Mississippi and beyond.

It is not what you know but who you know still rings true, unfortunately.

Well persistence pays off

The younger group at our church does constructive things with their free time, not carouse and spend their time drunk. They volunteer their time in the community and take part in the big brother/sister program.

But you will always have a segment of society that loafs and spends their free time in an altered state of mind. It will never change I suppose.