Electronic parking brake, early brake pad wear

We have a 2008 Volvo XC70 with electronic parking brake. We have had to replace the rear brake pads at less than 37,000 miles. The front pads are fine. You have to connect a small computer to move the calipers back to get the pads out. I have been told the front pads are normally the first pads to go. My question is, can this electronic system be set to tight or causing early wear of the rear pads? The dearler tech said they see more rear brake pad wear with these electronic parking brake systems, than without the electronic parking brakes.

I feel 37,000 miles is too early to have rear brake pads wear out versus the front pads. Any feedbak regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

I do understand individual driving will make a difference however I would expect the front brakes to wear out first if that were the case.

Tim

I had a problem with rear pads wearing out too soon. For me, it happened because of the over use of my traction control and/or poor caliper design which tend to seize. May be more that then the other issue ? But, some parking brakes uses a separate drum.

I don’t think it’s unusual anymore. I see a number of Euro cars (some Asian too) that wear out original rear brake linings as fast or faster than the front. It seems the old rule of fronts wearing out twice as fast as rears doesn’t always apply anymore. If the wear is relatively even side to side, the rotors show no signs of overheating and the pads aren’t glazed, it’s just normal wear and tear.

Front pads last about 70-75k on my vehicles. My 2000 Blazer is the first vehicle I’ve owned with rear disc brakes. I replaced the first or second set at 80k miles. The new OEM rear pads needed replacement at 120k. It appears the rear pads wear out twice as fast as the front pads on this vehicle.

Ed B.