Electric Pickup

Ford will announce a fully electric F150 on May 19. No details yet, but here’s an article about it. Would you buy an F150 Lightening EV?

No, but I don’t have any need for a pick up either.

3 Likes

I’m curious about what range will be possible but sometime. Have a need for a pickup but not enough to pay what a new one costs.

I’m curious about how much towing a trailer will affect range.

That’s one of the questions that hopefully will be answered. Initially they’re counting that this will appeal to fleets Most of the truck things I’d need would only need a 100mi range before using the fast charger. Car and Driver believes it will have more than a 300mi range having enough room for bigger batteries but Ford hasn’t said how much range is affected or an exact tow rating.

The only thing that we’d even need a F150 to tow would be my dad’s boat, which would weigh in at least 10,000lbs on a trailer. If we decided to store it on the property for the winter months.

I will consider buying the electric F-150. I once drove an electric car and was surprised at the power. I buy a new F-150 every two years so I’ll be interested in a test drive as well as the charging time and can I charge it at home. Also the range expected on a full charge.

A new Ford F-150 every 2 years !! Good Greif :astonished:

1 Like

Were I in the market for a new pickup I’d absolutely consider it. In many ways electric is ideal for pickup duty. 100% torque at 0 rpm is a good thing for towing or hauling something heavy. If the range is good enough it’d be great for camper duty. And as a bonus, if you arrive late or leave early to the campground, you don’t have to feel lousy about waking everyone up with that loud diesel. :wink:

Watch out how far down the ramp you go when putting your boat in the water. I know that there is water thrown up off the road, but submerging the motors for the wheels might be problematic. Anyone know how well sealed the motors are?

2 Likes

I’ve seen some videos of Teslas driving with the wheels totally submerged. Since the motors would be subjected to puddles, snow, rain, splashing, etc I would assume they need to be well sealed in any car.

In that respect, electric cars may be better than gasoline engines; no cooling fan to tear apart the radiator, no need to worry about water in the cylinders. Of course if the wiring gets wet and corroded you’re hosed, but that holds true with all cars.

The Hummer EV can be in up to 26in of water, i guess the first buyers will find out if they’re brave enough.

I don’t see electric trucks going over too big around here, The farmers all go for 3/4 and 1 tons.
With many having deck plate beds installed along with hay spikes to carry round bales and hauling around heavy stock trailers and so on (including slogging through deep mud) the range would be seriously degraded and there’s going to be zero patience waiting for it to charge.

4 Likes

For now yes. But battery technology is improving fast (very fast). I’ll bet in less then 10 years they’ll have a range equal to or greater then a current F150 ICE engine.

1 Like

It’ll probably get the job done.

The HUMMER EV shares its frame with the Silverado. Expect similar performance in GM pickups too of they are lifted similarly.

There’s a Silverado EV coming at some point as well, reportedly aiming for a 400mi range.

On the topic of towing capacity, I have installed a good number of goose-neck hitches for ranchers on 2500 and 3500 trucks, never on a half ton, the half ton is for a different consumer.

Most half ton trucks are purchased for size and comfort, most do not have a tow hitch.

Most of the F150’s i see have a tow hitch installed, no idea if they’re actually used. The local dealer orders even the base v6 trucks with the trailer hitch.

My oldest son just bought a 2021 Ram 1/2 ton and I think the tow capacity on it is around 5 or 6 tons. Hemi and unknown to me axle ratio along with E Torque.

The thing with electric vehicles to me is this. As EVs become the norm where is the power grid and power generation going to come from to charge all of them?
Wind and solar is not even going to come close and in spite of claims by the power company the cost (especially solar) is prohibitive. Here in OK (as per the musical Oklahoma where the wind comes blowing down the plains) wind turbines only spin half the time even when the wind is 30 or 40 MPH. They just sit idle.

Power grids are growing very rapidly. I agree that if TOMORROW every vehicle was electric then yes the grid couldn’t handle it. But it’s going to be a slow process and (decades) and the grid should be able to grow into it.

Energy Infrastructure | ASCE’s 2021 Infrastructure Report Card

2 Likes