' Electric Cars Need to Make Noise for Safety, but What Kind?'

I’m personally a fan of foghorns

1 Like

At some point, some manufacturer may figure out to spin off a marketplace for these sounds, huh ? :slight_smile:

This is nothing new…in fact some electric car companies are actually doing this. I first read about it at least 5 years ago.

Play music. The manufacturer can have a play list, much like computers or smartphones do. It would be easy to add favorites with USB inputs. I’d opt for Jaws music for a little while. I think I’d get tired of it in short order. My daughter used to subject us to Taylor Swift for 8 hours taking her to college. I didn’t want to break the CD afterward, maybe I could live with that. I certainly have experience.

1 Like

Programmable sound and level, to satisfy everybodies desires. Some cars already have supplemental inside engine noises

Oh, I like that. But I have an ulterior motive.

I went to Mississippi State and am a fan. Their SEC rival is Ole Miss. There’s a game every year between the two school’s that is a heated rivalry called the “Egg Bowl” (named after the trophy that was introduced years ago that contains an old school football that resembles an egg).

Ole Miss’s (University of MS) latest mascot is a shark. Actually a “land shark” in honor of their once…existing defense.

Last year, MS State won 30-3 (or thereabouts) and the MSU band played “Baby Shark” during the game lol.

You can’t beat a college football rivalry game.

For the record, Ole Miss has had several mascots. A confederate colonel originally. Deemed to be racist. Then a bear. I dunno, never caught on. Now the shark. Or “land shark”. They’re the “Rebels”. Tough to come up with a mascot, I guess.

3 Likes

No it’s not. Change the mascot and eventually the nickname changes, too. My university’s nickname was the Engineers. No, really, I mean it. The mascot was a student wearing jeans, a plaid flannel shirt, suspenders, and hiking boots. You could tell him apart from any other student because he was carrying a sextant. Oh, and he was allowed on the football field.

The administration wanted to change the mascot and nickname because women had just been allowed to join the undergraduate community. Women seemed to be turned off by the Engineer thing (sigh). The Administration tasked to school newspaper to come up with a replacement. The editor, and one of my fraternity brothers, thought this was stupid. He was an impartial observer, since he majored in international relations. Anyway, he campaigned hard for a big brown and white gorilla, and it won! The administration had no sense of humor, and said no. A few years later, they came up with the Mountain Hawk. All Ole Miss needs to do is find a noble beast from Mississippi that’s hasn’t been appropriated, and make the change.

I like the engineer lol.

Yeah, they tried the bear as the noble beast. Native to MS, but they’re rare now. But they kept the name “Rebels”. The bear never really caught on for whatever reason.

Matters not to me, I’m a MS State fan. MSU Bulldogs. Luckily, we picked a non controversial mascot years ago. But I could go for an angry engineer as a mascot lol. Glasses, pocket protector, and a bad attitude.

1 Like

The Angerneer!

2 Likes

Ours wasn’t angry, just an engineer. Too much anger these days. I know some mascots are naturally angry, like the Trojans or Spartans. Oddly not the Fighting Irish, IMO.

1 Like

I never thought this was the direction this discussion would go… I was already gone from Mississippi when the Ole Miss mascot was changed but I recall reading about it. I always thought something like that needed to come up organically in order to catch on - such changes by committee never seem to have the intended impact. FWIW I liked the bear way more than the land shark, but I’m an MSU guy as well, so my vote doesn’t count. At least our mascot isn’t an anthropomorphic okra. :slight_smile:

It should be user selectable. Mine would be Luke’s landspeeder from Star Wars. And on special occasions it would be Andre the Giant from Princess Bride:

“EVERYBODY MOOOOOOVE!”

Doesn’t the Mustang have the accessory to choose the muffler sound you want? So just check with Ford. We have a population of deaf and blind in our little community so most people here recognize the need for some considerations. These folks have been trained to live on their own with some aids but noiseless vehicles and bikes can be a definite hazard. In the old days, people watched out for them, but these days they need to watch out for themselves and some noise would be helpful. As long as it’s not that piercing back up alarm sound that we all have gotten used to but drives you nuts anyway.

Check out my latest downloadable drive tone…it sounds like you have a flat tire!..I know, cool eh?

Ideas for drive tones:
Squealing bearing
Slipping belt
Flat tire
Rod knock
Screaming worms
Finger nails on blackboard
Crying babies
Old cartoon characters- Lapadapadoo doo doo, have you seen the rabbit?
Jet fighter

Ohh, ohh- ice cream truck!- That would have a lot of followers… :grin:

you’ve got it!
I was just gonna say that’s probably the one I would want to get :slight_smile:

My favorite pro wrestler was George “The Animal” Steele. What a character! We could use his animal sounds as a warning. I still laugh when I think about his gig. Even how it started is hilarious.

1 Like

What about “Broom, broom, I’m in me mum’s carrr!”? You’ll have to Google that. The kids thought it was hilarious a couple of years ago.

Don’t forget frogs, locusts, deaths of first born, and sharknados.

1 Like

How the tune from the Good Humor Truck (Pop, Goes the Weasel)? Or a recording of The Village People singing a medley of favorites?

Low Rider by War. I could listen to that for a long time.