EDITED Can a Ford Aerostar tow a Jeep Wrangler?

I have a 1994 Ford Aerostar and a 2004 Jeep Wrangler. My partner and I are moving across the country and we were wondering if the Aerostar has the capacity to tow the Jeep Wrangler? It would make it so much easier because I think we could then not have to get a moving truck and also be able to drive together. Please shed some light and THANKS!!

Thanks to everyone who has answered so far. Edited to correct Aerostar year - it’s a '94 not '04. Hasty typing mistake! Sorry! and thanks again…

I wouldn’t advise it. Back in 1965, my brother and I towed a 1954 Buick (standard transmission) 350 miles with a Studebaker Lark V-8 and a tow bar. It was a scary trip.

The last Aerostar was made in 1997. What kind of vehicle are you using to tow the Jeep?

If you mean you have a 2004 Freestar, then no - the Jeep is 2500 pounds over the towing capacity.

I would not recommend it. You’ve got two people, so drive both vehicles.

The Jeep really isn’t a very light vehicle. Then it seems you would be loading belongings into both vehicles adding to the total weight. You can try it but you should figure the trip will most likely kill the Aerostar.

If it’s a 2004----it’s not an Aerostar.
If it’s an Aerostar----it’s not a 2004.

Only on the outside chance with the bigger v6.

-BUT -
you’re moving !
you’re loading all your stuff in both vehicles !
I’m with Whitey…drive both vehicles

I once towed my daughter’s 89 Taurus on a trailer behind my 92 Explorer from Silver City to Gallup NM.
Whew, it was 100% of everthing that truck could handle ! Slow and easy, nothing more. And I damn well needed to plan waaay ahead for a looong stopping distance because it was way too much for that.

Another consideration is the 4x4 transfer case on the Jeep, which complicates towing with a tow bar or a tow dolly. In either case some or all of the wheels of the Jeep are turning. Is shifting the transfer case (i.e., the 4x4 lever, as opposed to the transmission) into neutral safe for the 4x4 system to tow long distances? The axles and some portion of the drivetrain will be spinning with the wheels. The best solution is an actual car trailer, but you’re talking 5,000 # before you consider any cargo…well over the Ford ____star’s capacities.

Aerostar, Windstar, Freestar, none of the ____star vehicles can tow this much. The Aerostar, which was discontinued after 1997, is the most capable tow vehicle of the possibilities for what this ____star vehicle could be, being built on the Ranger platform, but neither a Ranger nor an Aeroster could tow a Wrangler very far without self-destructing or worse. Don’t consider towing the van with the Wrangler, either. It’s too weak, and the thought of towing anything with a Wrangler is frightening to me. Looks like you’re stuck driving separately.

Can? Yes. Should? No.

Pick up a couple of walkie-talkies on eBay and each of you drive a vehicle. You can talk the whole way and not use up your cell phone minutes.

“jt”, isn’t that illegal in some states?

You edited the year but still omit the engine size.
The 4.0 L in that 94 is the same engine as my 92 Explorer and it was a workhorse.
I would tow many things from my daughter’s Taurus ( once ) to a loaded country-rock band equipment trailer every weekend.
— STOPPING WAS THE BIGGEST ISSUE ----

The 3.0 L is far too little.

However, for this one trip, I think you could get by if it has the 4.0 engine.
– BUT –
Acceleration will be slow and mild, do not use overdrive and keep top speed down.
STOPPING all that extra wieght will be hazardous and with possibly dangerous brake fade ! ! !
BE AWARE OF THIS FROM THE VERY BEGINNING.
YOU ARE HEREBY FOREWARNED. ( I speak from scary & dangerous first hand experience )
Plan ahead to slow to a stop.
Gear down to assist in stopping.
And don’t do this again.

Best option ; drive both trucks.

dagosa, I don’t think citizen band (CB) radio has been banned in any state.

Then yes, you can do it ASSUMING you’re only driving the cars, and not packing the cars to the rafters with your stuff.

But as Ken says, you’ll want to plan ahead for braking, and take it slow and gently. That said, your van is rated for about 1,000 pounds more than the curb weight of the Wrangler.

(Whitey’s right - CB isn’t illegal and neither is FRS, which is the spectrum the little walkie talkies use now).

You can probably figure on a new transmission when and if you make your destination.

My point about the CB band radio and it’s legality has to do with it’s use while driving, not whether it’s legal or not to have one in a car, especially when used as a scanner. Most states have general Distraction Laws and if you are pulled over while driving down the road yakking on one of these as originally presented, I wouldn’t use a non cb ban as an excuse. ;=) I wouldn’t and believe you’ll have a hard time convincing anyone writing out an accident report that it wasn’t an illegal contributory factor should it ever happen. Just saying…I would be a little more fearful of it’s legality and use it more discreetly, as generally, they would be a good idea to have on a trip as originally presented by “jt” while not necessarily talking “the whole way”.

Maine has a driver distraction law too that makes no mention of cell phones either, but use a walkie talkie while a cop is following you…if you dare. Then tell him this forum said it was OK if it’s a CB or FRS or whatever if pulled over. I gurantee he will not be impressed and you very well could be ticketed, and rightfully so.

I had a 1990 Aerostar…couldn’t even pull itself…especially in
the mountains! Ditto on ok4450’s transmission comment.

Drive each vehicle. transmissions in Aerostars and their sucessors were not the most robust. A friend of mine moved cross country and had two vehicles. They drove each one and used walkie talkies ( before cell phones) to keep in touch in case they got separated by traffic.

You’d be better off driving them separately.