Easy to work on tank-like SUV

@ Dagosa: I have thought about a smaller truck, and still think about it from time to time. The only reason I’m against it is because I don’t specifically need a truck bed, and if i don’t need one then I would sort of rather have that space as part of the vehicle.

@ snow people: Seriously thank you guys for the help, but the snow thing is the very least of the concerns here. Again I only plan on being in NC for a season, maybe two. I just wanted to mention it so that whatever vehicle i did get wouldn’t totally bomb if there was snow.

As of now, here is the list we have in more or less order:

Toyota Land Cruiser (late 90’s? Super rugged, but maybe a bit too large)
Toyota Four Runner
Mitsubishi Montero (good in CA as parts will be easier to find)
Jeep Cherokee (late 90s - early 00’s?) would need to be a Cherokee as a Wrangler would probably be too easy to get into, and can’t store boards inside it)
FWD smaller class SUV

Is that about right? Most of the votes go towards the Toyota’s, so that’s probably where I am leaning right now.

Good list. The Toyota Four Runner and The Jeep Cherokee would be my top 2. The Montero I don’t know, if you can get parts then ok. As for the Land Cruiser, If you can find one from Ca or some were not in the rust belt. I would look one from the late 70’s up. The ones in the 90’s and up not as rugged as the late 70’s up ones. I would think that parts for 70’s thru 80’s mite be easy to find south of the border. If you go with the Jeep Cherokee I would look at the alex mod’s that us off roader’s do. The vacuum actuator for the front axle is the first thing do away with. They brake and then you don’t have 4 wheel dr. There kits to keep the axel locked all the time.

With what ever vehicle you choose check out the off road sites for for ways to improve the vehicle for your trip. Also you mite find story’s about the trip you want to make. Good luck on your trip, have fun and be safe.

Thanks to everyone for the good advice.

If you can find a forum or 2 that has natives or people who travel central America often, then that would be your best starting point. They can tell you what vehicles are popular in the region and how easy they are to fix or get parts for.