Dumb question: washing clothes in fast orange

Ummm, Simple Green has instructions for laundry use. Also household use and can degrease engine parts. Win-win. Biodegradeable ans septic-safe.

For the shadetree mechanic Simple Green will be fine.

I do laundry once a week. And at the end of that week I can have 5-6 work uniforms that need to go into the wash. I don’t have time to take a bottle of Simple Green and a scrub brush and pretreat the stains on 6 pairs of slacks and 6 shirts.

So I hang these items and walk around with a can of brake parts cleaner. If I see a piece of clothing with an oil or grease stain I give it blast with the brake parts cleaner. I walk away and let the brake parts cleaner drip off and evaporate. Then I thow the uniforms in with the rest of the wash.

Tester

@TwinTurbo, that’s why some laundromats have signs that prohibit washing oily materials. You have to choose laundromats carefully if you want them to allow you to come back.

Also, most of today’s high-efficiency washers (both top loading and front loading) can handle a king size comforter. There is more room inside the machine with no agitator. I know my machine can handle these large jobs, and it’s not one of the fancier models. These high-efficiency machines also use less detergent, less water, and they get your clothes cleaner. I chose a top loading machine because I figured it’s less likely to leak than a front loader.

There have been mold issues with some brands of high efficiency washers, but I haven’t had a problem. Make sure you do your research before you consider buying one. It helps if you have an air conditioned laundry room and you leave the lid open when the machine is not in use.

From the Simple Green Website (They do sell their own Laundry Detergent at Home Depot but not everywhere)
Laundry - Can Simple Green be used in the laundry?
Simple Green can be used in the laundry. For use in a conventional washing machine add 1/4 cup of Simple Green while the washing machine is filling, then add clothes. Simple Green can also be used as a spot treatment for heavy or greasy stains.
Simple Green is not recommended for use in High Effeciency (HE) machines.
Always spot test an inconspicuous area prior to using Simple Green on clothing.

Quoting @Mustangman “I have used D&L and GoJo waterless hand cleaners as a pre-wash spot remover. Rub it in on the greasy spots right after you remove your clothes. Wash as usual. It works great. It even works on white button down shirts with a grease spot.”

The small GoJo containers even suggest using their product as a spotter on grease spots. I don’t think the big one on my shop dispenser has that, but it’s not in my home utility room.

I do not find it helpful or necessary to do my wash naked.

@Whitey

Yeah, we have two laundry set ups; one basement, one second floor. Basement is older agitator, second floor is newer front loader. Heard all the warnings from friends about moldy smells but we let ours air out and the occasional bleach use seems to prevent it for us. Still prefer to take loads of big stuff to place where everything can be done in parallel.

Let’s be clear, I’m washing the clothes I wear not oil soaked or greasy rags. Sure clothes get dirty crawling on the floor and working underneath but I question how people are going about the work if they’re so covered in grease you can’t put the clothes in a machine without damaging it. I have rags and a fireproof rag bucket :wink:

hey all, helpful discussion, thanks.

off-topic and BTW I recommend using a bathtub to soak-wash big things like comforters, pillows.