Drove w/ parking brake on

'04 Camry. Brake was one or two clicks from full on; it does not hold well in that position. Went about 6 miles at about 30 mph, with some stopping. Then smelled the overheated brake material. A couple of times after that the break pedal travel was way longer than normal, but would “pump up” OK on a second application (heavy suburban traffic; no hard stops). Now the pedal travel seems OK.

What do I need to have checked or done?

If you’re lucky, you probably have nothing to worry about. If the brake pedal feels normal and the brakes work as they always have, I’d say you can forget about it. If the brakes feel “spongy” or the pedal travel is longer than normal, have the brake system bled and the rear brakes checked.

My guess, however, is that you will soon forget all about it.

Please don’t let this dissuade you from using the parking brake.

My guess is that you heated the bakes enough to boils some of the fluid, hence the spongy brakes. The went back to normal after they cooled, If the seem normal now, the pads are probably OK, I wouldn’t worry unless something is abnormal.

While I agree with the others, I believe you missed the bad one this time. Be more careful in the future :slight_smile:

I will suggest that if it has been more than two years since you changed you your brake fluid, now would be a good time. Likely what got hot was water in the brake fluid. That was why it was spongy. You don’t want that in there for several good reasons. Make sure that the correct brake fluid for your car is used.

BTW if someone wants to do more to the brakes than that, and you think they may be looking for a little extra holiday cash, ask them why they believe this or that needs to be done and come back and ask.

Thank you, all, for the sound advice. I’ll post again if I discover anything interesting.

Yes, I did miss the big one this time.