Drove Prius 4 to 10 miles without oil! Was there damage?

The Prius does not have a big enough battery to go into the EV mode for more than a few minutes…Normally in a Prius this never happens. Some later models have a “EV Mode” button to allow drivers to experience 100% electric operation for a few minutes…I think speed must be kept below 30 MPH when in the EV mode…But in the event of an engine failure or shut-down because of low or no oil pressure the ECM could deliver enough electric power to at least get the car safely off the road…

I must admit I ASSUMED that the distance was covered while the engine had pressure…then it shut down due to lack of oil pressure and then the vehicle proceeded on electric power to cover the distance. So in my mind…the engine ran for a short time till the shutoff did its job as soon as no pressure was seen and immediately shut the engine down before any damage could occur…which is how it is designed. This would have saved the engine…I believe.

However…I used that word up there in caps… and we all know what happens when you start Assuming things.

Blackbird

I do not like no temp gauge, no tach, basically no gas motor info. I know it does run a lot though. I always notice it shutting off at stop lights. The fact that a/c compressor is powered by small elec motor is interesting. A/c works fine with motor off.

Always wondered about how the A/C was handled on the Prius and similar vehicles. Wonder if it has electric Power Steering as well… Probably does eh?

Blackbird

I dont know why other vehicles do not have a similar system for the AC,the AC works pretty good on my Dakota(but its a long way away from being too cold,on the other hand it seems to tax the anemic V6 engine very little.
Right on HB,you shouldnt assume anything

I guess a Prius is one of the few cars made tha’s safe to take to a jiffy lube.

Confused a little by your post. In the event of a low oil condition, couldn't the Prius have traveled 4-10 miles just using its electric battery powered engine, never needing to start the gasoline one?

We tried out a Prius at my work in an attempt to “go green.” It had an all electric mode. If you pressed any harder than “just barely noticible” on the throttle, it automatically popped out of EV mode and started the engine. If you went faster than 20-30mph, even if you weren’t accelerating, it would be out of EV-only mode and using the gas engine.

In short, OP would decidedly know if the engine had shut off, because the car would be crawling along and getting passed by turtles.

Update:

• The shop promises to do right. They say if there is rod or main bearing damage we will know it sooner rather than later. That bearing damage will show up in the next few thousand miles rather than 15-20,000 miles down the road.
  • I will do an oil analysis in 1000 miles or so.
  • The shop volunteers to drop the oil pan, remove a rod bearing cap and allow me to inspect it...I don't know if I want to go there yet.
  • The shop also firmly believes that the Prius has a gas shut down in the event of low oil. Toyota service guys cannot confirm the presence of a low oil shutoff/ If that were the case how come there are stories about seized up Priuses? Also, our low pressure light flashed on and then went off....could I have a bad sensor too?
Keep the insights coming! Thanks,

Dont drop the pan,do the oil analysis and try to document about what the shop said,if it goes 20K,I cant see were there is anything to worry about.