Driving up a steep hill using a manual

I think we can be pretty sure that even the Maybach 57S, with a 6.0L V12 bi-turbo engine, producing 604 HP and 737 lb ft of torque “is simply not going to climb a vertical wall no matter what gear is used.”

oh i dont know…if ya stretch it out so the front tire are at the bumper im thinking it might get vertical

I don’t mean literally driving a car up a vertical wall. Anyone who has driven a small displacement and low power engine up a mountain grade or even a 1 block long steep hill knows that a car may be gasping before reaching the top.

Several decades ago I drove an older 1.6L Subaru (about 80 HP, allegedly) to Colorado one weekend and on several of those 10k foot mountain passes I was down to 1st gear, a prayer, and an overheating engine before reaching the top.

I was one of 3 in a Metro (with the other 2 every bit of 550lbs combined) and me at 220lbs. That car was really hurt by our weight, we certainly did not pull out in front of anyone.

Hey genius, Whitie is talking about when the OP wrote, “…and then advanced into third gear.” in the original message. You know, the one at the top of the page. You will find it at the end of the third paragraph.

If you still can’t find it, press CTRL-F and type “third gear.” If you start at the top of the page, it will be the first one you find.

Before you try to answer a question, it would help if you read the question first.

I have climbed the steep incline on I-77 near Fancy Gap, VA in my low displacement Honda Civic, and on my low displacement motorcycles. I also climbed that mountain in a tractor trailer several times, and once in an RV. In my view, vehicle weight is a bigger factor than displacement when climbing steep inclines. More precisely, power-to-weight ratio is more important than displacement alone.

"I would be more impressed if he had gone up over the wall."
Me too “Whitey”. But you have to admit it’s one heck of good start.
This qualify ?

Yes, those are more impressive.