Driving a Honda Civic Hybrid without the hybrid battery?

This is why conventional cars are so much better. 20 years later, you can still start up a conventional car no problem…not so much a hybrid car.

On my prius…I was able to get about 250 more miles (about 550 miles total) miles than my 2000 corolla. That’s only $25 gas-savings…the prius costs twice as much to buy and twice as much to maintain.

Does anyone here even know if this car will run with a dead battery pack?

Does anyone here know if this car will run without the battery pack installed?

It seems to me that until those two questions are answered, the rest of this discussion is academic.

2 Likes

Drive on.

i bought the honda civic hybrid for my dad in 2006 …he wanted a hybrid so i got him one …he died 2017 …93 that’s a good life…but he took very good care of it …it has 90,000 klm or 50,000 miles in very good shape …so in 2017 i started driving the car and noticed the ima light started coming up …now it’s on most of the time …i don’t notice any difference in the performance of the car …now some other lights come on …the dealer says …it’s nothing …but they can not turn them off …and told me maybe i need a new module …for 2400.00 dollars …i am thinking that the battery pack might be affecting that …i don’t want to throw this car away …if it was a gas only civic, i think i could ger 3 or 4 hundred thousand miles out of it …i’m not going to throw it away …i will wait for a tecky to help me …the dealer says they won’t gime me a dime for it cause they say it needs a battery and a module …look what would they give me for my car if it was just gas …???

let me tell you …they would give me so much more …the hybid honda was a big scam and i think if you are patient and your hybrid is in good shape …wait a solution like me …it’s gunna come …

I wouldn’t go that far, but won’t argue the point. My 2010 Honda Insight (basically the same hybrid system as your Civic) has 80k miles on it, and runs like new (50 mpg average). Overall, though, I’ve concluded that while these hybrids certainly save gas, they do not save any money.

1 Like

Not sure if I’m putting this in the right place but it is easy to disable the battery in a hybrid Honda by removing the back seat and also removing the small plate in the very center of the structure behind the seat this will reveal and on off switch select to switch to the off position and you are ready to go you will actually increase your gas mileage because the engine is not working hard to charge the bad battery the only downfall to this would be when you come to a stop it is going to be hard on your alternator and battery replace your battery with a deep cycle battery to avoid any future problems

Please don’t take this the wrong way . . .

You seem to be wrong on all counts

A Civic Hybrid with a non-functioning IMA battery will get worse gas mileage, versus one that is fully functional

A Civic Hybrid doesn’t even have an alternator

3 Likes

Without the high voltage battery, the car will be a “DOG”. The hybrid battery provides addition power to an undersized engine. So when you climb a hill or pass a car, power will not be there. So it will be like the early VW bugs with the 1200 engines, except worse. Think of the Issetta.

This car has a CVT. Has anyone had problems with that? Has anyone rebuilt a IMA battery

1 Like

I bought a 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid yesterday and was wondering about this myself. The car runs great except on the test drive on a very steep driveway in the rain I had to pass the driveway and come back with more momentum to get up. The IMA engine light was on and I brought a code checker which said battery deterioration. The battery seems to be the only main issue.

• new battery costs close to $2000 with shipping for a assembled battery (ready to just swap with the old battery)
  • refurbished batteries are great too but the prices could be lower
  • then I found this very informative video on rebuikding the battery yourself. Def a bit labor intensive but really it’s nothing complicated. Anyone can do this with a little confidence and preparation in a few hours (https://youtu.be/TT71em4Ei2Y)

So at this point I’m going to do what others suggested. Drive it without the battery untill I have the time $ to replace and rebuild my batteries cells.

From what I understand, the IMA light will go on even if a few battery cells are deteriorating and some aren’t…which is why many people got the light after 15-20k miles only when it was good for up to 100k miles. The software update was a BS way of overriding the error even though a fuel cell was probably deteriorating …IMO

If there’s a way to test the charge in each cell, that would be great because each cell is only $80-$110 and would be a great cost effective investment to getting my battery replaced.

My 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid all of a sudden had the air conditioning stop, then the speedometer stopped and then the steering wheel was losing power. So I pulled over the side of the road. I was traveling from Lady Lake, FL to Palm Harbor, FL when this happened. Got it towed to HOnda dealer in Palm Harbor. They are telling me I need a new hybrid battery. I told them that my Honda dealer from IL told me, about 8 years ago that I could still drive my car without getting a new one. He said it would just run like a non-hybrid where I would not get the same gas mileage.
So the dealer in Palm Harbor told me that my car can’t get enough power for my car to run only using the 12 volt battery. 1) Is this true? 2) Could there be another reason why my power went out? My 12 volt is only about 6 months old. 3) Can I put in a higher voltage battery in my car that could handle giving power to run my car? I’m in dire need of quick answers if possible because I am stuck in Palm Harbor and need to go home so I can go to work. Thanks!!!