Downstream O2 sensor replacement

Here is what other solara videos have shown to be where the connection is supposed to be.

Upclose of the wiring

I finally found a diagram. When I locate this exact part, what my vehicle has, is not what is shown/supposed to be there. It’s the metal clamp with red/copper wiring underneath it that I have shared above.

The line drawings in automotive service data often aren’t very clear and often contain inaccuracies, so it’s not overly surprising what you have on your car doesn’t match up with the drawings. The techs use the drawings as a place to start looking, and often just follow the harness wires based on the wire colors from the wiring schematic to find the sensor they are looking for. Like I say the diagram I found showed both sensor 1’s towards the front of the engine, but it seems hard to believe that’s actually the case on a v-configured transverse mounted engine. That diagram may have been in error, or was showing the locations of the connectors for the sensors, not the sensors themselves. One of the exhaust banks of that configuration is usually between the engine and the firewall; i.e. near the back of the engine compartment. You’re probably going to have to do it the way the techs do, visually follow the wires based on the wire colors to the sensor. The metal clamp you show in the photo above may just be a strain relief for the wiring to the sensor. To prevent the wire insulation from chaffing as the engine vibrates and shorting the sensor out.

One bit of info that might be helpful, bank 1 usually corresponds to the exhaust bank used by cylinder number 1. If you know where cylinder number one is, then its exhaust bank is bank 1.

If you still want to replace the sensor yourself, it may make sense to take it to a shop and ask them to show you where both sensor 1’s are located.

I finally located it! The female plug was jammed up behind the engine. I had to get a step ladder and lay up on the engine for my short arms to find it :rofl:

Here’s to hoping this keeps the CEL from coming back on. This was the only code left so chances are good this is the last of the issues with the sensors.

Good for you for not giving up and finally locating that pesky sensor. My philosophy is: there’s always hope, so no reason to give up … lol … Your story reminds me of the time I was replacing a faulty coolant temp switch on my Corolla. I removed the first coolant-jacket switch. Took it to the parts store. “That’s not it.” Returned to the same parts store w/the second switch. “That’s not it either.” Finally got the right switch on the 3rd attempt :wink:

It’s all trial and error when you’re going into something blind! Due to my husband’s back injury I was hell bent on figuring it out. I even caved and took it to a mechanic and he said oh no you have you get underneath to get to that sensor. So I said screw it I’ll go home and obsess more. I saw people on YouTube do it, I can do it too LoL! I too bought the wrong sensor. Bought a universal one and didn’t open it until I got home. It didn’t come with a male/female connector. I’ve been having to take lyft/Uber to the stores so it’s been quite the hassle. You live and you learn :grin: I have been enjoying tinkering with it though! It’s got 287,000 miles so I’m sure I’ll be fixing little things here and there often. It finally passed smog yesterday!

:+1: Good job…