Does the Lexus IS eat tires more than normal?

I tend to agree that you are probably better off keeping the IS… As far as changing to a smaller wheel with a taller (aspect ratio) tire can/greatly affect the handling and braking in an emergency situation… Also depending on the F Sports Brake rotor size and caliper size and strut/suspension design the smaller wheels may not fit…

Another thing to consider, although probable very expensive (and you would need to talk to them 1st) would be to pick another vehicle and find a custom upholstery shop have the drivers seat custom formed to your needs (or even retrofitted the IS seat, might even bolt right in(??))… The airbags in the seats would be the defining factor… But depending on the difference in tire prices and longevity might offset the cost of the seat… Just make sure the end justifies the means…

I’ve come to think the best I can do is set aside savings for tires every two years. Roughly $55 a month.

Like the others have said, and I agree with them, it’s better to pay for what works over driving something that causes issues.

I’ll have to shop around for cheaper tires next time.

Also, I noticed when I had the spare tire on last year the transmission was skipping/knocking. At first I thought the car had a transmission issue. But the dealer said the car is programmed to run on 18” and the right tires. When I put back the original tire on, the skipping and knocking immediately went away.

It happened when coming to a full stop then proceeding.

So changing the size of the tires might not work for this particular car. I think it has something to do with the AWD system.

Well the roll out of the spare tire was different causing the issue with the AWD system, But I still wouldn’t change them… And if you love the ride of the car just remember cheaper is not always better, tires can make or break a vehicle’s ride… Tires are NOT all created equally… lol

1 Like

If you are driving this car well below its maximum handling capabilities, a really good alignment shop might be able to adjust things to reduce uneven wear on the tires. Whether they would agree to do so is another matter.

Properly inflated tires on an IS300 usually last 35,000 to 40,000 miles. If there is uneven wear it is from sharp parking lot turns, that scuffs the inside edge if the front tires and an alignment shop can’t do anything about that.

I inflate the tires to 37 psi always, even though the car calls for 32 to 33 Psi.

My reason is that keeping them inflated at 33 psi have me returning to the shop to get air too often.

You can get a small portable tire inflator that runs on 110 AC or 12V from the power point in your car .

2 Likes

Over inflating your tires can/will cause the center to push out and will wear the center out, but mainly your tire contact patch (footprint) will be reduced and in an emergency that can be the difference between stopping in time versus not stopping in time… However you can get better fuel mileage but that is cause of less friction (rolling resentence) meaning less tire on the road… The best brakes in the world don’t do you any good if there is 1/2 the tire gripping the road… So when you slam on the brakes the tires start to lock up so the ABS kicks in releasing pressure to the brakes letting the wheel(s) roll again but the tire(s) try to lock up again and so on and so on, that will extend your overall stopping distance…

It would interesting to know what the pressures are when the car is cold, if they were inflated to 37 PSI after driving to the store. Maybe close to the 32 and 33 recommended?

If you’re complaining about tires wearing quickly, I suggest you stick with the recommended pressure in order to have the best shot at even tire wear (let alone better traction).

2 Likes

My tires are set to 33 PSI cold. I most often see 35 PSI if I’m driving around town and 36 PSI if I’m on the highway for a bit.

1 Like

The door pressure is cold (ambient temp) , no heat in the tires… Tires on average can loose a pound a month and for every 10 degree drop in temp a tire can loose a pound of air… That of course is not set in stone but average over the life of the tire… Every shop that does free air pressure checks gets hammered with TPMS lights coming on when the temp drops a lot over night… It really gets annoying when you are trying to take care of waiting customers and people want you to stop and air up there tires… Every body should know how to air up their on tires unless there is a medical reason they are unable to… My daughter was taught how to do basic maintenance starting around 13-14 years old (and much more once she started driving at 15)…

37 psi warm/hot would be low, tire pressure increases by 4 psi while driving. The correct tire pressure is 36 psi cold front/rear. Do not be afraid to increase the tire pressure by 3 to 5 psi, it will not harm the tires and will increase tire life.

2 Likes

Where are you getting the PSI numbers ? Most places I find say 36 PSI front and rear .

The Correct air pressure is what the manufacture put on the tire place card not what someone recommends…
Over the years I’ve seen thousands of different place cards and most are 32-35 PSI, yes some are higher with the heavier vehicles and trucks but on average cars are in 32-35 psi… BUT I always go by what the manufacture designed the vehicle to drive on in an OE application…

From Discount tire:
At this point you’re probably asking: what is my tire pressure supposed to be?

Your tires are properly inflated when their pressure matches the pounds per square inch (psi) listed on your vehicle’s tire placard or owner’s manual. The placard or manual should list the appropriate psi for both the front and rear tires, as they may be different. Most passenger cars’ psi requirement will be between 30 to 35 psi, but several vehicles fall outside of that range and every vehicle will have specific requirements.

Good tire air pressure ensures that tires wear evenly, provide a smooth ride, and increase fuel efficiency. Proper inflation also helps keep accidents like tire blowouts or tread tears at bay…

From Car.com:

What Should My Tire Pressure Be?

On newer cars, the recommended tire pressure is most commonly listed on a sticker inside the driver’s door. If there’s no sticker on the door, you can usually find the specs in the owner’s manual. Most passenger cars will recommend 32 psi to 35 psi in the tires when they’re cold. The reason you check tire pressure when they’re cold is that as tires roll along the road, friction between them and the road generates heat, increasing both the temperature and the air pressure. For the most accurate reading (not to mention the most consistent one), make sure the car has been sitting overnight or at least has been parked for a few hours.

Do not inflate your tires to the pressure listed on the tire itself. That number is the maximum pressure the tire can hold, not the recommended pressure for the vehicle. Tricky, huh?

Overinflation of your tires will give you a bouncy ride and an ill-handling car, while driving on underinflated tires can cause premature wear from increased friction. Either way, not having your tires inflated to their recommended pressure will negatively affect tire wear and vehicle performance — and will definitely affect your maintenance schedule when it comes to replacing them.

The tire pressure is 34 when cold. Then reaches to 37 while driving. I was told by the shop 32 to 33 was recommended. But keeping the tires at 33 when driving became troublesome as I get the orange light within a week when the tires are cold, dropping to 28 psi.

Edit. I need to clarify. I meant to say I inflate the tires to 34 so that while driving it stays at 37.

But you said im to inflate to 36, and it’ll add 4 while driving which will be safe.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll do this in the morning.

Thanks to everyone else who recommended the same.

There should be a sticker on the door jamb that specifies the pressure. What does it say?

Edit - the owners manual for your car specifies 36 psi front and rear, your shop was incorrect. I’d have no problem running 38 psi cold.

1 Like

Was a Toyota employee who told me this. And yes, I’m learning here he was incorrect.

If your owners manual/place card show 36 psi then 38 is OK…