Does the drive belt move at a fixed ratio to the engine?

2 ignition pulses from the coil per revolution of the crankshaft. It takes 2 revolutions of the crankshaft to fire all four cylinders.

what software do you use, by the way?

if pickup is on cylinder wire: divide frequency by 2, as it is 1 spark per 2 revolutions

if pickup is on the out-of-one-coli-to-distributor wire -> it will be 2 sparks per revolution for 4-cylinder engine

If your interest is in finding out the rpms speed of the engine, the tach will tell you that directly. Thereā€™s no need to do any calculations.

If your interest is in finding out the ratio between the crankshaft speed and the speed of any of the belt driven components, itā€™s simple arithmetic. Measure the diameter of the crankshaft pulley. Then measure the diameter of the pulley on the component in question.

(a) Divide the smaller of the two into the larger of the two, and youā€™ll get a multiplier to calculate the speed of the smaller one relative to the speed of the larger one.

(b) Divide the larger of the two into the smaller of the two to get a multiplier to calculate the speed of the larger one from the speed of the smaller one.

Then, using the speed as measured by the tachometer, simply do the multiplication.
If the crankshaft is the larger pulley, use (a) to find the component rpm.
If the crankshaft is the smaller of the pulley, use (b).

Caveat: Iā€™m old. With medical issues. Sometimes I get confused. I will not be at all offended if one of you young pups double checks my formulas. Please. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

sox to record, audacity to analyze.

Duh. I wasnā€™t thinking.

825 is a more believable number, but it doesnā€™t match what I calculated from reading the photo tachometer at the same time and multiplying by 2.6 or the suspect number I read by trying to read the drive shaft directly.

Listening to the whole thing it definitely speeds up over time. At minute 4 itā€™s nearly 1200.

well, this is as accurate as it gets :slight_smile:

you could go for down-to-fractions measure on your pulley down below and up, then making your better guess on multiplier, but unlikely you would match electronics in accuracy

anyway, 825 seems to be quite a reasonable number for 4-cylinder

what is the target RPM?

I didnā€™t think about it until this failed test, but the VECI (which I had to purchase from Toyota, the original long gone) sez 700.

presumably, your ā€œ87 Toyota pickupā€ has injectors, not carburator, so it is some OBD gen-1 system in placeā€¦

quite usual problem leading to high idle rpms is in intake leak, which engine compensates by raising RPMs

ā€œsmoke machineā€ would be one choice to look for leaks, but there are others too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoZamqAArME

if you have a suspected place, testing with propane or carb cleaner is probably the easies to do

My '89 Toyota pickup had a carburetor. My guess is that the '87 did too.

I checked WiKi and they tell injectors were on some of [many] engines it has

if it is carburator, it goes down to adjusting its idle controls

Wrong. Post must be at least 10 characters.

Theyā€™re already all the way out. Manuals point to dashpot as a possibility. I think the general opinion here is that there is a leak and I need a re-build - sigh!

hey, carbs are picky, but in the end lesser mystery than OBDs

I used to have carb-based cars of 1967, 1989 years before, and it was more fun than modern ones (and grass was greener too!)

make sure you do not have obvious leaks on your vacuum hoses, as you will end up with erratic idle if you do

adjusting carb, I would start from making sure it is clean and using carb cleaner spray to clean any channels if it needs cleaning first

ideally, you would find the actual adjustment procedure in the repair manual, the rest I will just recall how it applied to my 1989 Opel Kadett (keen to GM in US)

I would hve to find 2 screw: one is setting stop-point for the choke, another one would tune amount of air going AROUND choke at idle

I would have to tune first screw to be tad-bit before it would start opening choke, leave it there as a initial point

after that, tune air until you get your idle slightly under your target

net, go back to the choke position screw and get it in until you zero in on your target RPMs

DISCLAIMER: this is all was done on my 1.3L 4-cylinder Opel, similar process was used on 1967 Moskvich :slight_smile:

ah, more on this

I recall one of carbs I worked on (I believe Opel one) had a fixed dosage for air at idle, and adjusting screw was tuning fuel only, while anotehr car had more adjustments and one could work on fuel and air adjustments separately, which was really a pain

I would carefully check how many adjusters you have and what they are likely doing before touching anything

825 -> 700 is not much adjustment you really need

ideally, this will be all done on the screw setting the initial choke position: if you unscrew it letā€™s say quarter turn and see decrease in RPMs, this may be everything you need and you would not risk touching idle mixture adjustments, which are likely more involved