Does mechanic have duty to inform of scheduled maintenance?

I can see some of the comments were commenting on personal responsibility and that would be insulting to @Dressmaker. I know we all wish sometimes that someone verbally informed us of the the consequences. I know I learned the hard way in college during the first semester when they said read the syllabus. I didn’t and all of a sudden papers were due and test were given and I was clueless. Needless to say, my first semester was not good for my GPA, but I learned. I’m very sorry that this is going to be such an expensive lesson for her. I don’t think that anyone wants to hurt or shame someone on this forum.

I don’t see how the mechanic bears any responsibility, any more than my dentist bears responsibility for my needing a root canal simply based on the fact that he does not send out reminders every 6 months.

Mechanics simply cannot meet the needs of every client that walks in the door. I think it’s good business practice to inform customers of what the manufacturer recommends at a specific mileage or time interval. But for every customer who is interested in maintaining their car and keeping up with scheduled service, there are 2 who either dismiss it as unnecessary or accuse us of trying to pad the bill. And since many small independent shops are staffed by mechanics rather than professional salesmen, it’s easy to get discouraged and not put your heart into upselling.

@knfenimore‌

I don’t see that any of us were insulting OP

Just because we told OP that the responsibility was theirs, doesn’t mean we’re being insulting

Telling the truth is not insulting

As I’ve learned the hard way many times, it doesn’t matter how I think I delivered the message. All that matters is what the person on the other end heard.

Sometimes the person on the other end hears what they want to hear, no matter what you say,or how you say it

“it doesn’t matter how I think I delivered the message. All that matters is what the person on the other end heard.”

That is true, but it is also true that what one hears or perceives is often influenced by whether someone likes the nature of the advice–or not.

As we see all-too-often nowadays, people tend to come to internet forums for affirmation of their preconceived notions, and if those who respond do not agree with those preconceived notions, then those responders are said to be…uncivil (even when they’re not)…or are claimed to be industry insiders who automatically side with mechanics (even when they’re not).

I said we were not trying to insult anyone, the truth sometimes is hurtful.

This seems appropriate . . .

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/2477511424/h889D55C2/

…or…

https://imgflip.com/i/d8rz6

We didn’t try to insult anyone. But yet again, we succeeded.
And it usually is to the first-timers seeking help on something they know little about.

“We didn’t try to insult anyone. But yet again, we succeeded.”

I couldn’t disagree more

OP chose to see our remarks as insulting, rather than constructive criticism

Socrates taught us, “The unexamined life is not worth living”.

While that sentiment is probably a bit extreme, the fact remains that it is helpful to periodically reassess one’s habits, values systems and patterns of living. And, in this regard, it is also helpful for people to periodically get a reality check from others regarding their habits/values/patterns of living. The reality check may be a shock to the system, so to speak, so people can sometimes react badly to hearing the truth–even when it is spoken in a non-insulting manner.

In this case, the OP did not like the reality check, but perhaps in the long run she will internalize it and will take more responsibility for her actions and inactions. If she does do that, she will benefit greatly–in more ways than just in regard to maintaining her car.