Does anyone make a real hatchback anymore?

Ask a helpful salesperson which NON-hybrid vehicles most closely resemble the shape, design and profile of those hybrids. I think there aren’t many anymore, mainly for the same reason that I can’t find cars I like, most people are more concerned with features we don’t want. I think you are looking for a non-existent new car. In the eighties we had the chrysler lebaron GTS, and the (already mentioned) chevette, as well as a mazda 626 touring, nissan sentra hatch (they might have called that a wagon).

My advice, judging by your very specific desires, keep what you have, take good care of it. I drove a loaded (to the gills) 1999 all over the country for 8 months last year, ending with somewhere in the neighborhood of 180,000 miles on it.
No reason to be afraid of a 2002 on trips.

You obviously haven’t driven either too much. These “gutless wonders” are second only to minivans in hauling, offer more comfortable, to many, upright seating, corner and handle with the best of many fwd compacts, offer security of awd when optioned. Your comments are completely unfounded as they are not over weight given their capabilities. Yes I’ve driven a CRV and it handles and rides better or as well as any other car given it’s people hauling capabilities. You want more than 25 mpg over all in a non hybrid capable of hauling 5 full size adults in comfort ? Enlighten me…with your other choices.

"Terrible choices. High center of gravity for no good reason. Overweight, poor MPG. "

You obviously haven’t driven either too much. These CRV/RAV “gutless wonders” are second only to minivans in hauling, offer more comfortable, to many, upright seating, corner and handle with the best of many fwd compacts, offer security of awd when optioned. Your comments are completely unfounded as they are not over weight given their capabilities. I guess you completely ignore the reasons why so many have been sold. You made a funny but OP didn’t say anything about great handling qualities. Get with the program. “Family 5 door for trips” !
CRV is but a few inches longer than a Civic and makes a good town/trip car and “family” people hauler and storage access. Enlighten us with your other choices.

Ann, we prefer a Mazda 2 because my wife will be the main driver (mostly local), and she likes small cars, and does not need the room. Her favorite past car was a tiny Dodge Colt.

For highway use I would buy the Elantra Touring, the Ford Focus, or the Mazda 3 Hatchback. All three are roomy and fun to drive.

Lancer Sportback

Have you checked out Edmunds.com to see a list of available new hatchbacks? A quick search revealed over 30 hatchbacks.

The Scion xB meets exactly my definition of a hatchback, what is yours?

Troll alert!

Ths Rav4 with a V6 is one of the best combinations of performance, economy, and space out there.

Sounds like the restricted rear view in most all new cars is your main problem. Current desire of manufacturers to get ‘5 stars’ on safety tests results in small windows. Best car I know that meets your needs is a Forester, still has pretty decent view.

Thanks ever so much! I’ve been going mad trying to id who has hatchbacks…this site is terrific, all together with all the info you really need. Thanks.

Thanks. Agreed, lovely view out the back…at the gas pump, not so much! Terribly bad mileage.

there was a Mazda 6 hatchback made from 2004 to 2008, but I doubt they sold many of them, so they’d be hard to come by.

That got me looking and comparing my 7 to the 3 and 6.
My CX-7 is actually SHORTER than a Mazda 6(184.3" vs 193.7") and longer than a 3(180.9"). It’s wider than both though; 73.7" vs 72.4"(6) vs 69.1"(3).
The Cx-7 will net 20/28 mpg for the 2.5L version and 17/24 for the turbo. The 6 will get 21/30 for the I4 and 17/25 for the V6. The 3 will get 24/33 for the 2L and 21/29 for the 2.5L. All 2010 models for comparison. Kinda odd how a small SUV can get just as good fuel mileage as the sedans being offered.

Yes, it’s a real hatch. I rented one last summer and used it to carry bulky stuff like book cases. You may not like the cheap plastic interior; otherwise, it’s a fine car. My brother is a retired farmer, and he loves his since retired farmers always have an excuse to haul some hay bales.

Take a look at the Mini Cooper Countryman. It has lots of room and is a hatchback.

I suggest the Scion xD.

check out the new subaru impreza in the NY auto show. all subarus are all wheel drive!

MAZDA 5 splits the difference between hatchback and minivan, as does the Ford Flex.

Audi A3 was not on that Edmonds list. Didn’t want you to overlook it if it’s in price range for you.

Re the Scion xB (thanks for the picture Texases) that is my definition of a lift back, or station wagon. The rear door does lift away nicely, but the edge of the opening is almost vertical. What I like on a hatchback is a door sloped a lot from top to bottom, with all the slope as window for visibility. See one similar to my favorite, a 1992 camry. Note that the flat part of the hatch is barely a handswidth. That’s the car I want!