Does a potato in the tailpipe still work to kill a vehicle?

Sugar in the tank does not work according to mythbusters, but that would be beyond prank, Now if I had a potatoe in my tailpipe, I would consider it a prank, but sugar or water or anything else in my tank I would consider vandalism, and call the cops. A friends big boat twin whatever 8 cyl motors would not start due to barns swallow maybe nest in tailpipe.

Seems a little drastic, punishing the dogs for their mis-behaving owner.

1 Like

If you knew the dogs you would understand why the .22 was the best option. Dumping garbage all the time, trying to attack pedestrians, barking and howling 24/7, and pretty much eaten up with fleas and mange.

Talk about abuse of power :frowning2:

When he moved, he probably became somebody elseā€™s problem

Very true. When he left here he moved to a neighboring town about 15 miles away and from what I heard things were even more out of hand.

He had a nephew living with him who would break into local businesses (usually stealing beer and cigarettes) and when things got too hot for him he would head to OK City for a while to let things cool down. He would stay in the homeless shelter there and panhandle all the time to maintain his habits which included illegal drugs.

As for abuse of power, thatā€™s not a rarity around here and he was by no means the only one doing it.

Mythbusters busted that myth in the same show as the potato!:older_man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U36ITyw6epg

Donā€™t know if a potato will do the sealing job, but a car with a totally blocked exhaust system ainā€™t going anywhere. I doubt you could even start it up. It would crank ok, but wouldnā€™t start. I took a class in fluid flow and mass transport years ago, but I canā€™t remember what the name of that physical law is called. The principle of continuity of mass, something like that. In practical terms, the reason a gasoline engine wonā€™t start with a clogged exhaust is b/c no gas or air can get into the engine if the exhaust products canā€™t get out. And no air or gas in, no start.

Totally blocked exhaust will prevent a car from starting. Iā€™ve seen it with packed snow that turned to ice. Tow car into heated garage for a while and it starts right up.

Forget the potato. Iā€™d be inclined to make a pipe crimper. Extend handles on a giant slip joint pliers. Wouldnā€™t take any longer than stuffing a potato and it would be more effective. A couple times fixing the crimped off pipe might make him think twice about his anticsā€¦

1 Like

That definitely crosses the line into vandalism, perhaps even destruction of private property.

If thatā€™s your go-to move in the spectrum of conflict resolution, Iā€™m glad youā€™re not a diplomat.

Go to move? Hardly. Iā€™m more of an in-your-face kind of guy when it comes to self-centered morons infringing on my rights as a homeowner such as the situation described. Youā€™re going to get a personal visit from me and it wonā€™t be pleasant. But the OP is talking about a more subtle approach. Did you read the situation? Itā€™s not like this individual is going to cease and desist after a ā€œdiplomaticā€ conversation. So if youā€™re at a point where the potato makes sense, then I suggest a slightly more definitive messageā€¦

1 Like

OK, lets put this to rest. Does anyone have a spare potato to give it a try and see what happens? Donā€™t eat it afterwards though. If the potato in the exhaust doesnā€™t do the trick, thereā€™s another place the potato could be put that might.

3 Likes

I nominate Bingā€™s comment forā€“at leastā€“the best post of the day, possibly the best post of the week!

:thumbsup:

1 Like

You mean a more passive-aggressive approach. I wouldnā€™t call crimping someoneā€™s tailpipe ā€œsubtle,ā€

I donā€™t care how you want to categorize the difference between an in-your-face confrontation and stuffing a potato up his tailpipe after hours. It is more subtle IMO. Nobody called the crimping a subtle approach. After you chastised me for the suggestion, I said it provides a slightly more definitive message than the potato. Youā€™re scrambling words between the sentences to make new meaningsā€¦

After hearing the latest it appears a potato would not work, the sound location on the truck would indicate cutouts to me. Too many crazy people that might even have agun for me to want to do a face to face confrontationā€¦
Local news story
Two men reportedly followed a resident to his home because they didnā€™t like his driving, then threatened him with a gun.

The 31-year-old victim told Police he was driving home from work at about 5:15 p.m. when he noticed a black sedan following him, tailing him so closely he could not see the front license plate on the car. When he turned into his own driveway the black sedan pulled into the driveway behind him.

According to the police report, the man walked up to the car and asked the people in the car ā€” driver Stephen Galbraith, 26, and passenger what they wanted.

The police report states that ā€œStephen began to voice his displeasure at (the victimā€™s) driving,ā€ accusing him of nearly causing an accident with a motorcycle.

According to the police report, the victim then told the two men three times to leave his property. They did not. Instead, according to the report, Gailbraith threatened to beat up the man who then ā€œout of fear for his safety that Stephen and Timothy would do him physical harmā€ took out his pocket knife and held it at his side.

The report states that Oā€™Brien immediately ā€œraised a handgun with his right hand and said ā€˜well Iā€™ve got thisā€™ and waved the gun from side to side in the vehicle. The report states that the man said Oā€™Brien did not point the gun directly at him.

The man then fled to his garage and called 911, yelling that he was calling police. Gailbraith then pulled the sedan from the driveway and parked the car on the street, waiting for police to arrive.

When officers arrived at the scene, Oā€™Brien had a holstered handgun ā€œworn as open carry.ā€ The handgun was loaded with 15 rounds of hollow point bullets, one cartridge in the chamber.

Oā€™Brien and Galbraith told officers they followed the man to his home because they did not like the way he was driving and felt he had come close to striking a motorcycle. Oā€™Brien said he did not point his gun at the homeowner, but had just ā€œdemonstrated to (him) that he had a firearm.ā€

A neighbor doing yard work witnessed the entire exchange.

Oā€™Brien was arrested pending charges of disorderly conduct while armed. He was ā€œreleased on his own recognizance.ā€

Gailbraith was arrested for disorderly conduct, and was also released. During the arrest, a search of a backpack in Gailbraithā€™s car contained two additional guns, two fully loaded Smith and Wesson 9 mm handguns.

Just what we need. Vigilantes.

You must live in Dodge City, just to keep it car related.

1 Like

Dodge city just to avoid the Ram trucks :grin:

1 Like

I had a situation similar to that, not a truck but a motorcyclist neighbor. Heā€™d gun the engine ā€“ and it was really loud ā€“ leaving to some degree, but always when arriving. At first he basically told me to mind my own business. And to that I said ā€œok, letā€™s see how it goesā€. But then a few days later he saw me taking an evening walk on another street, he stopped to talk and allowed I may have a point. He explained the reason he did it was b/c the motor ran better that way, esp if he gunned it a little just before shutting it off, it would start easier the next time. I didnā€™t take one side or the other, just said ā€œoh, thatā€™s interestingā€.

After a few weeks I noticed whenever he was coming home heā€™d gun the engine a little further down the street, then turn it off, and coast into his driveway. So it may be possible to get some improvement just by asking, and by being patient. And in my case I think another neighbor may have talked to him about it too, as that neighbor had complained to me it was waking up her infant.

Block the exhaust, thatā€™s something intriguing to talk about, but imo it isnā€™t really a solution to the problem.

1 Like

OK, so he was doing it again, so took a little walk, from across the street I hollered great sounding truck, but donā€™t need the dragstrip effects at 8:30 at night when babies are trying to sleepā€¦ his window was down so I am sure he heard me, but certainly did a walk around the block so he did not know where I live. One can hope.