Does 1999 Camry has transmission screen or filter?

I used to clean the screen with brake fluid - assuming that there was no plastic inside… the '05 Camry trans pan is a bit tricks as it is very close to cross member - use small skinny “10” mm best with a slight benand/or a ratchet open end.

My 2002 Sienna allegedly also has what Toyota calls a screen which does not need to be replaced. I have drained 3 quarts and refilled many, many times. It doesn’t cost much. Never dropped the pan nor cleaned the screen. Fluid, by now changed a bit at a time to synthetic, looks perfectly clean as new. At 213,000 miles, transmission works perfectly. I make no claims for tomorrow.

I worked for over 30 years in a factory which produced very high quality electronics for civilian and military aircraft. We allegedly had many tens of thousands of hours MTBF (mean time between failure) on a lot of our equipment.

Over the years, they did studies on every aspect of the equipment. If there was a mistake of some sort or a rare bad component and the unit had to be opened up after first assembly, they learned MTBF dropped statistically, no matter how carefully it was done.

So, if I can get by without dropping the pan and changing screens, I will do so. so far so good.

Let me say I got this idea of drain and refill from The Brothers. In a question about the time I bought the car, they told a man with a new luxury car that would be acceptable if done often enough. He wanted to do it at every oil change.

My '05 Camry also has what Toyota calls the screen. I have replaced it twice so far. Once with an aftermarket one and once with OEM. The reason I went to OEM was that I noticed the aftermarket one would let more out when I did the drain and refill. The “screen” looks like a regular transmission filter to me, nothing special about it. Cleaning it or changing it is probably not much different.

When I had 25K on my Camry I felt compelled to drop the pan and change screen(or clean) and wipe all the aluminum(or aluminium for you Commonwealth)…paste in the pan and add a few more magnets…I thought that buying a magnetic plug would be cheap and readily available but not so…any advise?

I have seen round magnets attached to the plug, but I think it’s overkill. Toyota transmissions for the most part are extremely reliable. It’s not uncommon to see an original unit with over 200k on it. I prefer Toyota factory WS fluid or Type TIV depending on your year. I am not a fan of universal fluids.

As I recall, Toyota transmission pans already have a magnet