Dodge Van rear end overheating

I’ll do that. As soon as I can find the answer I’ll post it here. I’m really hoping it is the brake controller and will shop around for a good one. I may also install a temp gauge in the rear end housing to keep an eye on it. Should at least give me early warning and perhaps some indication of the exact cause. Thanks to everyone for their suggestion and advice. Chuck in NH

OK, 3eagles, I apologize.I guess working on vehicles in 105 degree heat is getting to me.
Mechanics don’t live in a PC world.Disagreements are still settled behind the shop.

Thin skinned mechanics are purged quickly.My only point is that people refuse to accept advise on something that is in front of their nose. I could be wrong, but you have experienced this problem on three different vehicles. Its not the vehicle, or you have had someone set up your diffs wrong.

I don’t think that is the case. The only thing in common is the brake controller. People never tell a mechanic the whole story or circumstances. This is very frustating in trying to help someone.

I have to agree with oldwrench on this and he’s exactly right; the mechanic seldom ever gets 50% of the story much less a 100%.
Even the tiniest details can make a huge difference.

I know thats true! I’m probably the one that gives too much information. As they were all 9.25" I though perhaps it was a more common problem. Since it apparently isnt then logic says look for another cause. The brake controller is then highly suspect. Thanks for the advice. Chuck in NH

Is it possible for brake heat to melt the speed sensor? Long before enough heat could travel to the chunk the wheel bearings would have failed… Don’t you imagine.

We were thinking about brake dragging on the trailer putting drag on the rear end. I’ve done some checking and that dosen’t seem to be the case. I will be installing a new brake control anyway. Chuck in NH

Maybe the issue is not heat from the brake assemblies. Maybe it’s heat due to the ring and pinion straining so hard trying to override the brakes.
It will be interesting to get this sorted out and know for sure what the real cause is.

Thats what I meant by drag on the rear end. Making it overwork. Chuck