Dodge Challenger rattle noise

dodge
challenger

Hi there,

Car: 2014 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic.
Problem: Sporadic rattle noise
Description: It sounds like a plastic wire hitting metal.

Story:
The noise occurs randomly, but if I were to apply some uncertain analysis I would say it happens when I first take off. One thing is for certain it tends to happen when I am on regular streets rather than the freeway - usually between 0-45mph.

The sound sounds like it is coming from the left rear passenger side. As if it is coming from the back seat/the smaller window panel or under the fender. - So I cannot tell where it is coming from. And because sometimes I do not here the noise at all I cannot sit in the back while someone else drives. - tried it. The sound never showed up.

Analysis:
So far I have poked around and ensured the interior panels - all looks good

Can anyone please post how they fixed this issue?. Please be descriptive and concise and share photos if possible.

muffler heat-shield rusted out one of its attachment points and rattles ?

I was also thinking exhaust system or spare tire/jack/lug wrench assembly.

I’ll have someone look at the exhaust for sure.
I read on another site that someone found a lose plastic wire behind the interior panel that was hitting the metal frame. - Does anyone have a good video of removing the interior panel of a Challenger 2014? - I have searched and found nothing

good bet on wire!

I had intermittent rattle in my 2012 Altima which drove me crazy and I was taking revenge on dealer who was trying to fix it 2 or 3 times to no success. In the end, I looked under roofliner with a flashlight to that narrow space I could inspect next to sunroof cover and found a wire dangling in the air, close to the metal roof. A piece of foam and long stick made it silent :slight_smile:

Thanks for this! I’ll check that too. I have a long checklist for Saturday lol I also heard it could be a loose caliper anti rattle clip.

[quote=“stavros.demetri, post:1, topic:102421, full:true”]
The sound sounds like it is coming from the left rear passenger side. As if it is coming from the back seat/the smaller window panel or under the fender. - So I cannot tell where it is coming from. And because sometimes I do not here the noise at all I cannot sit in the back while someone else drives. - tried it. The sound never showed up.[/quote]Since the noise didn’t occur when you were sitting in the back, maybe it’s something to do with the seat itself.

Hi all. Good news and bad news.

It turns out there were TWO clicking sounds from TWO different locations.

1. There was a loose cable tapping against the interior behind the panel near the rear headrest on the passenger left side. - I taped it and added some acoustic padding which solved it.

2. See the attached image. You’ll see the device where the driver seat belt is collected. Strongly it makes a slight clicking sound at certain speeds. It is not lose in any way, but when I press it, it makes a click sound. I am unable to use padding to suppress the sound as it interferes with the motion of the belt itself. - Still working on this one lol

congrats on the first one, probably it was the most annoying one!