Do you clean your car engine bay from time to time?

And it also makes a good yard tractor.

1 Like

I guess Clueless does not know what a whip is or that it not the same as a car. George thinks a convertible and a coupe are the same thing . Not a good look for a vehicle Forum.

Apparently “whip” is newspeak for vehicle. As far as coupe/convertible? I know it’s not a coupe but hey that’s may be just me.

Love you Volvo. :joy::joy::joy:

Well I don’t know what a whip is either outside of congress. Guess I’m just not up on gen Z or something.

1 Like

Here you go:
Why Is a Car Called a Whip? | The Drive

1 Like

According to Google:

“ The term “whip” is slang for a car that originated in the early automobile era. The steering wheel was called the “whip” and people would use it to control horses pulling a stagecoach or carriage. The whip would threaten the horses, and sometimes actually whip them, causing the stagecoach to turn in the direction the driver wanted it to go. “

Back to the initial question…I won’t just go spraying liquid-y things around under my hoods, so I don’t clean by engine bays.

Call me paranoid, but I always have old cars. (My newest right now is an '06). I know the electronics are protected, but I worry about how well that’s held up over all of the years. I could just be thinking of it wrong…

But like a few others, I don’t even tend to wash the exterior…

1 Like

Can you guys explain why you don’t wash the car at all ? I know I hate seeing a filthy or dirty car. I wash twice a month. $40.

Wouldn’t a car that has never been washed look very dirty ?

Yeah you would think folks on a car site would take more pride. When the neighbor lady traded her 56 ford convert for a dodge, she got
that dirty brown color. She said so it wouldn’t show the dirt. True it just looked dirty all the time.

Because it takes up my time and either costs me physical effort or the spending of money and i receive nothing in return.

1 Like

I don’t care very much how my cars look. I want them to start and get me from point A to point B and back. Being “dirty” is not relevant.

This is a good explanation of part of the reason:

1 Like

I’ve washed my car only 2 or 3 times in the past 40 years.

I used to wash and wax my cars all the time in my teens and 20s.
I stopped when I realized:

1. My cars looked fine on their own.
  2. There were more important things in life for me to be spending my time on.

It’s an individual personal preference.

2 Likes

I suppose if you don’t wash your cars, you don’t wax your washer and dryer either. Or maybe don’t wash your clothes. Hope you at least take your hat off while eating. :smile:

Thanks for the explanations guys.

I was wondering if not washing one’s car had some hidden benefits.

There are exceptions in my case… I live on a heavily wooded lot with LOTS of oaks. And it is oak-sex season. It is literally snowing pollen sacs and particles outside of my house right now. It get into EVERYTHING and clings. If we get good rains mixed in, the rain takes care of it. If we don’t get good rains (which we haven’t lately), the cars first turn yellow, and then green/black from mold. It’s then that I wash the cars… I always just pray for the occasional heavy rain.

Addendum. Here is the windshield of my '03 Prius today. Not so obvious in the pic, but in addition to the stringy “tassels” (I think they’re called), covered in a film of yellow pollen particles. It gets oppressive this time of year. But I still love my oaks.

1 Like

Been raining/misting all day so inside doing housework or bothering people on car talk. Soon as the wife is off the phone, I’ll start th3 vac again.

Stick with bothering people on car talk, I’d say.

I think the live oaks around my area have finally finished mating. The tassels and leaves were so bad I vacuumed the cabin air intakes before entering the car wash. My car is black, shows every hint of pollen or dirt.

As far as the engine bay, my owners manual suggests periodically washing it, the manufacturer offers an “engine shampoo”. Haven’t tried it.

Once a year…

TRQ Coil Pack Installed

gunk engine cleaner / Gunk engine detailer / larger painters brush / smaller detailing brushes.

Image here shows after a through cleaning, we added a new set of sparkplugs, red head coil packs and the EGR Valve…

1 Like